Thread: SOLVED:interlace problems in slow motion clips:(

Default SOLVED:interlace problems in slow motion clips:(

Hi,
    After searching through the forum i still need help for solving this issue:

I am editing a clip i captuerd from my DV cam.(PAL)
    usuing premiere elements,i am doing a "time streach" on a short part of the clip to get a slow motion effect.
    When watching the clip on pc everything looks fine (as expected).
    The interlaced lines appear when i am watching the clip on the TV set - BUT - they only appear on the slowed down part of the movie.

i tried all the settings premiere elements offer in the "fields" option: interlace/interlace consecutive frames/de interlaced/flicker removal.
    The only thing that helped was "flicker removal" - it did took off the horizental lines,but the slowed downed clip still looked choppy and the frames just seems to jump from one to another in a very non smooth way...

(similar problem described here:
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...nterlaced#2171 )

i also read this:

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...terlaced#12987

flowing these - what do people reffer to when saying "export to avi"?
    the exporting options i have in premiere elements are export to dvd/mpeg/quick time...
    Do you really have to use a differenet encoding program to get good results?

All help would be welcomed

Thnaks
    Gil

I might be wrong as I'm not an expert in time remapping (not having done any in anger as yet) but as I understand things, it may just be the cheap implementation of slo-mo in Premiere Elements that is your issue. It does appear that in the area of time remapping Premiere Pro (and presumably Premiere Elements too) are considered behind the other NLEs - or so I've gathered - because it doesn't generate any 'tweens' during slo-mo processing and just doubles upon the same frame, hence the jerky motion.

To do a much better time remapping you will need a decent plugin (something like Twixtor) or another app like After Effects - but, unfortunately, they do not come cheap.

Default alan,about the export to avi and TMPGenc Xpress ?

thank's alan,
    can my problem be related to the mpeg decoder of premiere?
    i read the things you wrote here :
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtop...ht=slow+motion

i am looking at trying to use "procoder" for converting from avi to an mpeg 2 for dvd - What should i do in premiere? how do you export to AVI from premiere?

also,you said the TMPGenc Xpress codec is slow.Do you know of a faster way to do the conversion (a different softwear)?

After that i plan to use adobe encore to make the dvd,how can i make sure i wont Re-render my movie by mistake?

Thank you!

gil

Blog Entries

Default Re: alan,about the export to avi and TMPGenc Xpress ?

Quote Originally Posted by d_gil

also,you said the TMPGenc Xpress codec is slow.Do you know of a faster way to do the conversion (a different softwear)?
    Who said it was slow? Depends on your PC, but mine encodes at a rate of about 1:1.1 or quicker for one pass.

Er, it wasn't me who said those things in that thread. I simply asked why people preferred a.n.other encoder to the supplied one.

I know I'm not an encoding purist but I've not had any issues with the MPEG2 encoder supplied with Premiere. There's one simple reason I don't use it however and that is because I have a Matrox RT.x100 card and prefer to use that to do the encoding in real time which tends to cut the export time down to about a fifth of normal in my experience

As to the 'export to AVI' in Premiere. Don't have it in front of me at the moment but the option is certainly not hidden.

If you use AVI files in Encore then they will need to be encoded. Don't mistake this for rendering as the jobs are different. If you use M2V assest in Encore you can skip this phase as it's already been done. It won't happen twice though.

My workflow in this area is slightly different to some other around here. I capture to DV AVI, edit in Premiere, export to M2V and WAV and then import these into Encore. Others here may well capture to DV AVI, edit in Premiere (or whatever), export to DV AVI, encode using their favourite encoder to M2V anf WAV, then import to Encore. Others may well import the AVI into Encore and let it take care of the encoding, but I'm not sure you get as much control in the latter option. Basically, it's horses for courses I think.

Blog Entries

Default Re: alan,about the export to avi and TMPGenc Xpress ?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by d_gil

Who said it was slow? Depends on your PC, but mine encodes at a rate of about 1:1.1 or quicker for one pass.
    Erm, my tone was a bit harsh. "Who said that? I'll kill 'em!", is not how that should be read...

[quote="Alan Mills"] It does appear that in the area of time remapping Premiere Pro (and presumably Premiere Elements too) are considered behind the other NLEs - or so I've gathered - because it doesn't generate any 'tweens' during slo-mo processing and just doubles upon the same frame, hence the jerky motion.

It still sounds wierd that a program with a good reputation as premiere would not produce a good looking slo-mo clip
    again,it only get's jerky on the tv set,not the pc monitor...

I will try to follow alan's way of going from avi to dvd and see if the results are looking good.

Oh alan,and it was you who said : "..Of course, the irony of my question is that I don't use that encoder either. It's just too darned slow.
    " It was me thinking you refered to the MPEG encoder of premiere

Thank You for the quick reply!

anyone else with simmilar problems as mine is welcomed to post his solutions here...

Gil

[quote="d_gil"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    Oh alan,and it was you who said : "..Of course, the irony of my question is that I don't use that encoder either. It's just too darned slow.
    " It was me thinking you refered to the MPEG encoder of premiere
    Hold hands up high - "Guilty".

But in my defence, it only appears slow because I have a real-time card to do the same job - so I'm, sort of, right.

Default PROBLEM SOLVED!

Hi,
    i solved the interlacing problem by usuing "procoder" to do the conversion from AVI to MPEG.

(i did incountre a ratio problem...but thats a different story covered here:
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/ftopic3054.html)

THANK YOU ALL WHO HELPED

gil