Thread: 5000 budget-how to use it?!!

Default 5000 budget-how to use it?!!

I work for a youth project who have just been given a 5000 grant specifically for video editing. Now i have a little experience with video editing (mostly after effects with a pc) but know that with this cash i could get a top notch set up-so go mad, spend my money for me please! What is the very best i can get for 5000. Cheers

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Your hardware will likely depend on which s/w package you prefer to use. You mentioned Adobe After Effects so are you going the Adobe route?

Also, what format of video are you likely to edit?

Can all make a difference. I've had good experience with Matrox real time cards in the past so would consider them if you go Adobe.

As to the box itself...

Seperate HDD for OS and video projects.
    64 bit Windows (if Windows is your thing)
    All the RAM you can fit in it.
    A couple fo decent monitors and a seperate TV for viewing your final output as it will be seen.

Good advice from Alan. Know what you're going to be working with and towards and start the search from there.
    There are many box shifters out there that wil happily take your money from you, but these guys are very knowledgable and unbiased.
    Great value and high spec systems.
    DVC Ltd. Online Catalogue

No connection apart from a very happy customer.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

looking at a mac pro to edit with, and adding after effects and other video editing software to it. are the mac pro's the best way to go in terms of rendering speed etc or is there stuff that is more effective for what i am looking to do? If mac pro is the way to go do i get the quad core or 8 core option? its all pretty confusing to me but i gather the faster your system the better and more capable it is of editing footage-i will be using hi def footage...

Mac pro's or custom built pc's.