Thread: My first render - out of memory!

1. Default My first render - out of memory!

Imagine my sorrow, if you will. I create my first Vegas Pro 9c masterpiece a 34min HD1080iPAL which I rendered out at Main concept 2 and HDV108050i, click save and after just 3 lousy percent I get a message telling me it's out of memory!

I'm using Windows XP Pro 32bit.
    Quadcore Extreme QX9770 Intel CPU
    4gb OCZ DDR3 RAM
    Saphhire Radeon HD3870 GPU
    2x WD 7200 500GB HDD's

I disabled everything running on the taskbar even disabled Norton AV and unplugged from the internet.

Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by castman; 02-25-2010 at 08:57 PM.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

List ALL Content/Media.

FXs on your Events

Any FX set to Tracks

Compositing.

Motion Blur on Master Track

Space on your rendering Hard drive.

Space on your System drive.

3. Default

OK
    d:\ = data / render drive SATA 500gb HDD less than 10gb used
    C:\ only has XP Pro, Vegas, DVDArchitect and Soundforge (and Norton AV which was switched off). The drive was recently wiped and re-installed

actual running time of project is 33mins 40seconds = total 20 video events
    content comprises of HDV footage 1440x1080 at 50i
    there are 16x .jpg colour photos about half of those contain pan/crop most display for 5seconds a couple for 10secs
    only transitions are cross-fades
    there are 5 audio sound bite (voice-over) totalling 11mins 40secs
    there are 9x 5 second text overlays (media gen text to label scene i.e. "Albert, France" appears bottom left in white)

I can't see how this would prove too taxing.Prior to Vegas I had Pinnacle Studio 11 which was a sod to render but I frequently managed to render longer and more complicated footage than this.

Would there be any advantage installing a third HDD - have O/S and Vegas program on C:, the Data files on D: and render out on the third drive E
    Last edited by castman; 02-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

I can't see anything there that would phase Vegas?

What are the Resolution numbers on the JPEGS?

What Version and Build number of VegasPro9 are you running?

5. Default

Vegas Pro9.0c
    the image res does vary from 800x600 to 1200x? not sure! I understand Vegas Pro9 is supposed to automatically adjust camera images. 2 photos are scanned at the recommended 150dpi they are all .jpg's

Having said all that, I just managed to complete the render after reading a FAQ on SCS website by changing some of the video options one was something of a surprise, lower the Rendering threads from 4 to 1 - doesn't make sense to me as a quad core CPU should surely be best using all cores, I also had to turn down the Dymanic RAM preview frpm 350 to 100. Not sure what that did but the project rendered!

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Quote Originally Posted by castman View Post
    I understand Vegas Pro9 is supposed to automatically adjust camera images.
    - In what way? Reso OR Dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by castman View Post
    . . I just managed to complete the render after reading a FAQ on SCS website . . lower the Rendering threads from 4 to 1
    I'd be asking "why" too! - If I couldn't use ALL my threads (are threads processors?) then there would have to be something not optimized for Vegas? Yes?

Lowering the Dynamic Build RAM would assist, I can see that, as rendering IS majorly CPU<>RAM intensive and anything that gets out of Vegas's face while this happens is good.

So we aren't closer to an answer, but you have got your job done - good!

7. Default

1. Yes it does seem odd that you cannot 'seem' to make full use of a quad core CPU. Having said that, when I was looking into building my system I remember reading an artle on CPU's which said that under certain circumstances a quadcore can be slower than a duocaore depending upon what it is doing and how the processes is designed to use core processing - soemthing like that!

2. The image size is mentioned in Douglas Spotted Eagle's Vegas Pro 9 Editing book, I don't have it with me but not sure it actually states what aspect of re-sizing Vegas does. The section mainly tells you about optimal scanning dpi then just emntions that with images taken from digital cameras vegas seems to know what to do and automatically does what it has too to convert or re-size the image - like I say I can't recall the exact terminology used.

Thanks for your input, I am pursuing the problem with the SCS support team

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

9. Default

Odd that the people there are talking about upping the Dynamic RAM range to very high levels whereas SCS support told me to lower it to 100 (70 if rendering SD) The 100 setting worked for me anyway

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee