Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Homemade Boom Mic

Default DIY Homemade Boom Mic

So I'm going to build a boom mic with a painters pole. Anyone suggest an entry level shotgun mic for use? In the sound field I've always trusted my good old Shure SM's but the SM89 is way out of my price range and I don't see any other Shure shot mics on the market. Any suggestions?
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

My personal recommendation would be to find the money for a Sennheiser K6 kit, failing that an Audio Technica 897. Whatever you do, don't go on ebay and get some cheap chinese microphone. If you do you'll regret it quite quickly. Some videographers use the Rode NTG3 but don't save money by getting an NTG2 or NTG1.

Here's a review of three cheaper shotgun mics which you might find interesting although I don't have such a positive view of the Azden mics as the reviewer but that's just personal taste.

Low Cost Shotgun Microphone Comparison

Also... have a read of this thread before buying...

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sound-r...planation.html

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    My personal recommendation would be to find the money for a Sennheiser K6 kit, failing that an Audio Technica 897. Whatever you do, don't go on ebay and get some cheap chinese microphone. If you do you'll regret it quite quickly. Some videographers use the Rode NTG3 but don't save money by getting an NTG2 or NTG1.

Here's a review of three cheaper shotgun mics which you might find interesting although I don't have such a positive view of the Azden mics as the reviewer but that's just personal taste.

Low Cost Shotgun Microphone Comparison

Also... have a read of this thread before buying...

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sound-r...planation.html
    Thanks, ya I wouldn't settle for a foreign ebay mic. I DO intern with 2 local sound engineering / sound reinforcement crews so I know what makes a good mic, just new to shotgun mics.

Blog Entries

I don't know if I've mentioned this before but you don't have to copy out the whole of the previous post. It's really annoying.

Lightbulb

Since my HDC-SD9 has NO inputs for a mic how difficult and complicated does it get recording the audio on a separate hand-held recorder using a shotgun and the recorders inputs and then rematching them in editing?

Blog Entries

Not at all difficult.

The trick in the edit is to match up the audio from the camera with the audio from the recorder and then mute or delete the camera audio just leaving the independent audio. It can be a bit fiddly if you've got loads of clips but it's no more pain than say colour-matching.

@ Gaffer- I just did not know if audio had a "frame rate" kind of deal when matching with mouth movement. Any micro recorders designed for video use like this? Sometimes I see the boom mic guy with his own shoulderstap bag with no wires connected to the camera. I'm guessing either a separate recorder or a wireless transmitter.

If you use a clapper board or just clap your hands in front of the camera at the beginning of each take this will help you match the sound to the visuals.

Blog Entries

If it's news or documentary then there will probably be a wireless transmitter, if it's drama then almost certainly a stand-alone recorder.

There is a way to sync sound and picture with timecode but it's not really a practical option with your set up. As Midnight said, the old-fashioned clapper-board is a good way to match sound and vision and is still in use every day on professional sets.

Video and digital sound recording systems are incredibly accurate and will keep lip-sync for hours. Quite a few of us here use Marantz, Zoom or Edirol recorders without problems. All halfway-decent recorders will be able to record at 48k, which is the same setting as video sound and will happily match-up in the edit.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    So I'm going to build a boom mic with a painters pole
    Is the boom to be hand held? Or do you have plans for a stand and base?
    I would like to see a photo when the done.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast