Thread: Will not render

1. Default Will not render

First off, appologies for not using the 'search' function as thoroughly as I should, but I'm on a ship at sea and the satellite internet connection is painfully slooooooow.

Second off, I'm not trying to rip off someone else's creative ideas, I'm trying to learn this art by attempting to replicate what I've seen on TV and liked and I imagine the BBC have some of the best in the business.

So here's the question: Some footage I have imported into Vegas (Plat 9) and edited just fine, but tacked onto the end of some of my own stuff it won't render. That is, the stuff I've created renders fine but the stuff from the telly won't, its like its just not there (video only; sound comes out fine but on a black screen).

The video info under the project media window has this info:
    video 352x240x24, 29.970 fps. Alpha = None Field order = None (progressive scan) XviD MPEG-4 Codec

Any ideas to solve this appreciated.

Blog Entries

I think you've hit the problem that Vegas just doesn't "like" XviD (or DivX). this appears quite frequently. A work around is to use another program to convert your source XvD footage to something else.

A free program called "Super" may do the trick from eRightSoft. It's a great little utility that converts just about anything to anything (apart from religious fundamentalists)
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for that Tim, sorry the initial question was a bit long winded! I've downloaded "Super" after a previous recommendation by you and its been great. However, when I tried converting this particular file (both with the xvid box ticked and un ticked) I just get an error message come up after a short while (on the Super program).

I appreciate software has plenty of quirks and foibles but I'd love to know why files that import into Vegas, can be happily edited etc but then just refuse to render. Of course I'd also like to know of any suggestions how to resolve this current problem.

Thanks for help, any further suggestions greatfully appreciated.

Blog Entries

If both Super and Vegas are having a problem, it seems likely the problem is with the file itself.
    Are you able to create other files of the same type (ie using exactly the same source/method) which DO work?

Whilst I agree with you that it seems counter-intuitive that you can happily edit files in Vegas but not render, bear in mind that when rendering MUCH more is going on than when creating a file for preview (otherwise you'd be able to render as quickly as you can preview).
    Tim

Give Format factory a try just to double check the conversion is the files fault

6. Default

Thanks for the help on this one. I tried some other files from similar source material with the same result, but the line "bear in mind that when rendering MUCH more is going on than when creating a file for preview" helped me accept why it wouldn't render after editing.

I tried running the files through 3GP converter, but just ran into different problems, so then played with some of the settings in "Super" (I wish it had a manual, I just don't understand much of the terminology!) and lo-and-behold I had a file that Vegas could render. So I suppose I should be embarassed and I am.

Thanks once again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manch View Post
    So I suppose I should be embarassed and I am.
    Not at all. There are simply too many permutations available nowadays. It'll take a lifetime to try everything available.
    Glad you're sorted.
    Tim