Thread: New Webseries..looking for feedback

Default New Webseries..looking for feedback

Hey Guys, my friends and I have started working on this new webseries called "The 5 Easy Steps program" and i'm really just looking for some feedback and advice on maybe some upcoming episodes.

Here is the first in the series -

and here is the second -

not sure if i'll be back here for awhile to check on this, so if you like it or have advice, you can shoot me an email at meghan.weiner@gmail.com

I have some advice, don't give up your day job.

Yikes...harsh....well, if you would like to go into a little bit more detail then I would love to hear what you think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Megow64 View Post
    not sure if i'll be back here for awhile to check on this,

Or to put it another way, "I want your free advice, but I can't be bothered to give anything back to the forum myself, and can't even be bothered to come back here looking for it"

Irrespective: Headroom. Lighting. Sound.
    And cut FAR more agressively.
    Tim

I think for the YouTube viewer it's very long. It was for me. Sorry I just didn't find it funny but I'm not your audience (50 year old male businessman). I think with a video like this you really need to keep the pace moving fast. Doing this will enable you to cut it down to a more palatable size.

What would you describe as your audience ?

Quote Originally Posted by Megow64 View Post
    Yikes...harsh....well, if you would like to go into a little bit more detail then I would love to hear what you think.
    It was your comment that you were not sure you would be back here to check the replies that prompted that reply. I have seen some people ask for feedback badly before but you get the top prize so far.

Ok, so here is what I really thought. Its way too slow to capture a youtube audience made up of people other than family and friends. The quality of the jokes are poor. You need to come up with better material and edit edit edit.

Aim to produce a video of 1.30 to 2 mins maximum. That way people are more likely to watch it and your material will go a lot further.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    It was your comment that you were not sure you would be back here to check the replies that prompted that reply. I have seen some people ask for feedback badly before but you get the top prize so far.

I understand, I just thought it would be rude of me to ask for advice and then not come back for a few days (I have limited internet time with work and school). So in retrospect it was a bit rude to put that, so I regret putting comment.

But moving on, The first video was extremely long because I tacked the bloopers on afterward, but i've learned not to do that since many people have told me that they didnt like that.

It's kind of hard to get a video down to 2-3 min when you have 5 steps to put and with the example of how not and how to do something, makes it difficult.

In my future videos, i'll work on cutting them down more.

Blog Entries

You're right, it is hard to edit down your ideas to a short piece. If it was easy, anyone could do it! It's one of the skills of filmmaking, and something that some master quickly, others take a while to learn. But you need to learn the discipline of editing either way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

We have all been in your current situation along the rocky path of learning how to edit. Most of us shoot loads of footage and some of those shots are very dear to us. In the beginning we all cram them in but we do so without realising that they are actually working against us.

No, the way to success is to be absolutely ruthless. Cut cut cut cut cut until the pips squeak. When you start getting comments that a scene was a little too quick then you can edge back a little and reap the rewards of your material flowing better.

This forum can help you achieve that goal, its the only place I have found where people are prepared to give honest feedback on how they feel about a film. Youtube hardly ever gives you that. Your often lucky to get three or four words there, or on a bad day a torrent of abuse.

You certainly will not agree with everything that is said here, we often have different views about the same thing, but that is another strength of the forum.

When I started in the police many years ago a sergeant welcomed me and then gave me the most important lesson of my life. He said that I would meet many people during my career who would offer me advice. Never ever tell someone that you already know something or give the impression that their advice is not important to you. Just say thanks and either accept it or reject it. If you do otherwise they may never offer you advice again. My how that advice has helped me over the years.

If you want to get the best out of this place. Have a look at other peoples videos and let us know what you think about them. You will learn much more quickly doing this than just getting feedback on your own films. Plus, you will be helping the community.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Megow64;135987]I understand, I just thought it would be rude of me to ask for advice and then not come back for a few days (I have limited internet time with work and school). So in retrospect it was a bit rude to put that, so I regret putting comment.

[QUOTE]

That's fine an dandy. You weren't to know but had you put "a few days" rather than a "while", you would have got a totally different reaction. By "a while" I suspect that others, like me, read "if I can ever be bothered".

We frequently get first time posters who post a film for critique and some of us spend quite a bit of time writing thhoughtful advice & comments only for the original poster never to come back. It's a bit disheartening as you can imagine.

Hence our initial hostility. Apologies.

And welcome.
    Tim