Thread: 24p and progressive feature.. do i need it?

Default 24p and progressive feature.. do i need it?

Im looking at 2 camera's the vx2100 and the dvx100a.

On 1 side i know the vx has great manual and low-light which i would like since it will be used for live concert filming.

on the other side the dvx does good in low light but offers many things over the VX, like 24p and i believe offers progressive mode?

Which should i go for, i read that even though it records 24p to view it its played at 30p, same with progressive filming, most tv's are still interlaced?

This footage will never end up on film just DVD so do progressive and 24p still make it better on DVD or is it not worth it unless going film?

That's an interesting choice both of them are a bit long in the tooth now. I looked at the dvx100 it seemed like everything I wanted except for HD it has more tricks up it's sleeve than just doing 24p. The Sony which is also well past it's sell by date was a great camera for it's time. So why are you going for these older models ?

Mainly budget, and im buying used for even better deals, even though we can afford to get newer and even go HD if we want, i dont have the computer to edit HD.

My main reasoning for going with older camera's like this is there is lots of feedback about them and i can get them cheap enough to get 2 or 3 or 4 to start with. Also im getting into the prosumer market and need to learn how to use camera's like this. I figure we can get some good deals and start SD for the rest of this year then retire the camera's and go full HD, with newer camera's and a nice mac pro 16core to edit on

So in summary mainly to just get started and not be in over my head with lots of expensive camera's...

What are some camera's you might recommend looking into, maybe better suited or newer?

Thanks

what about the Xl1, XL1s, or XL2?

Weird these are newer and yet they sell used for what these older VX and DVX ones sell for?

Again another classic of it's time. I should declare now I have a bias toward Panasonic The reason I was looking at the dvx100 was because of it's reputation with Indy film makers. This is the direction I am aiming toward.

I saved my money and went for the HVX201. This suits my needs but I don't think it would be right for you if you'll be filming live concerts. May be the Sony with it's reputation of being good in low light would be the one for you. You should get them for a good price. BUT then again would you need the shoulder mount of the XL2.

I'm sorry I'm not really helping you but you are comparing probably the three best cameras in this class, of their time. I'm sure you would get great footage with either. So go for what ever best deal you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Again another classic of it's time. I should declare now I have a bias toward Panasonic The reason I was looking at the dvx100 was because of it's reputation with Indy film makers. This is the direction I am aiming toward.

I saved my money and went for the HVX201. This suits my needs but I don't think it would be right for you if you'll be filming live concerts. May be the Sony with it's reputation of being good in low light would be the one for you. You should get them for a good price. BUT then again would you need the shoulder mount of the XL2.

I'm sorry I'm not really helping you but you are comparing probably the three best cameras in this class, of their time. I'm sure you would get great footage with either. So go for what ever best deal you can get.
    Its alright you have helped me, basically they are classic camera's top in they're class.

Im thinking 1 or 2 would be on LANC controlled tripods taking zooms and pans of the stage, so if i did get an XL1s it would be mounted i did see some with shoulder mounts they do look good and i like th modular design, i found a dvx local i might get it and just see for my self and try a sony or canon as well and decide which suites me and then keep or sell the other and get a 2nd one.

Thanks

That seems a good way of going about it. You never really know if it's right for you until you try it. I'm sure you love the dvx100 once you see what it can do. I don't know what cameras you are use to but I jumped form a basic consumer model to the HVX. I could not believe the amount of manual control available.

In fact when it comes to things like gamma settings and chroma balance etc I still just leave them alone.

Good luck with your venture.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    That seems a good way of going about it. You never really know if it's right for you until you try it. I'm sure you love the dvx100 once you see what it can do. I don't know what cameras you are use to but I jumped form a basic consumer model to the HVX. I could not believe the amount of manual control available.

In fact when it comes to things like gamma settings and chroma balance etc I still just leave them alone.

Good luck with your venture.
    Im transitioning from consumer and pro-sumer like the sony PDX10 which has some good control and a good picture.

Thanks again