Thread: Newbie here. Don't know anything but want to learn.

Default Newbie here. Don't know anything but want to learn.

I have 8mm movies that I want to convert to DVD. I found a company that will do that for me but I need to be able to edit, add still photos, music and voiceover. It is a family journal that I want to create and send to my children. How do I do that? What do I have to buy?

Is that standard 8 or super 8? With or without sound (on the originial movie that is)? I wish you were in the UK, I would offer to do it for you (for a exceptionally small fee of course).

The way I transfer movie film is as follows.

I point the movie projector at a transfer screen and point my camcorder to the same transfer screen at an angle of 45 degrees. (So you need a Projector, Transfer Screen and Digital Camcorder). At the end of this process I have a digital MiniDV master of the cine film.

I then connect my camcorder (with the digitally mastered movie) to my PC via firewire and I capture the MiniDV footage to my PC. (so you need a PC, A firewire card & firewire cable, as well as software capable of captuiring video from a Digital Camcorder)

I then use some editing software (I personally use Ulead Products but there are loads more, just check the various threads in these forums) to insert the movie, to edit the footage and to add stills and music. (So you need some Video Editing Software, A scanner to scan your fotos and of course some music to add to your edited movie)

The I use software to create DVD menus and to burn my movie to DVD (So you need some DVD authoring and burning software (again in my case I use ULead - the same package I used to capture and edit) and of course a DVD rewriter and some blank discs).

All sounds rather daunting, but you will get a great feeling when you watch those old movies on DVD.

Good luck, and don't hesitate to post back if you have any more questions.

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

Default Further to Newbie, I don't know a thing.

I don't know what a super8 is but I don't think I have it. These movies are from the mid-50's and my family didn't really know how to use it at first. Later they became better. That's why I need to be able to edit them.

You know, you're talking Greek. I don't have a clue but I really treasure the films. And I really want to do a good job. So, after I have them transferred to DVD, rewriteable, I hope, can I do what I want? Do I have to buy something special, like some new software?

I have no camcorder. I dont' even have a projector. I think I sold it several years ago. I could kick myself now.

Ahhh. Sorry about the greek.

In that case employ a reliable company to transfer your 8mm film (ask them for samples of their work) onto DV for you. Make sure the transferred movie film is in AVI format.

Try using Windows Movie maker to edit this. Or download a trial version of ULead Video Studio 8 from http://www.ulead.com/vs/trial.htm or you may be able to get it from the cove disk of a PC magazine.

Once you have tried the software you will have a good idea if your project is feasible under your own steam.

Once you have had a go post back any questions you may have. We are only happy to help at this fine forum of video editing enthusiasts.

Good luck
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc

Default Newbie

Thank you. I'll surely keep you posted. I do appreciate the support.

Default Cine transfer

I've often wondered how cine is transferred. How do you avoid keystoning if your cam is angled at 45 degrees? Erika's film must be standard 8mm - super 8 didn't arrive until the mid 60s. Plays at 16 fps, doesn't it?

My family have some old footage that I'll digitise one day. Kodachrome was noted for its colour permanence. Isn't there a method using a semi-translucent screen, with a mirror angled behind it - somehow avoiding a 'hotspot' from the projector lamp?

You are quite right the image is reflected from a mirror at an angle of 45%, thus avoiding the hot spot.

Incidentally it is extremely imortant to turn off any inage stabilisers on the camcorder to avoid the keystoning effect.

Incidentally I though standard 8 filmed at 18fps.

Thank you, Mr Purejammy. When I persuade my sister to have these films done, you will be consulted first. It's a job I'd rather leave to someone experienced.

Yes, you're probably right - 18fps as opposed to 16.