Thread: canon-xl1

1. Default canon-xl1

Hi all

someones offered me a Canon-XL 1 for 250, now i know it could be dodge and i would need to check it out first but is it a good investment i.e. good quality film, does it use firewire (as not stated) and would i be able to shoot high speed to capture say a bullet shattering a glass (so it looks slow motion)

any info welcome

below is the details he emailed me

thanks

Canon XL-1 MiniDV 3CCD Camcorder with Multiple Lenses. In top condition. Along with the XL-1 body and original 16X zoom lens, package also includes a 3X wide angle lens , as well as a Fisheye bayonet mount lens. Additionally, the package contains an XLR shoulder mount mic adapter, as well as three batteries, the charging unit, the remote control, its original mic, shoulder support, camera strap, a few filters, and the original manual. Unit has been tested, cleaned, and it works great.

Thats a real nice camera and kit. At that price make sure it's not nicked. I don't know about a bullet in slow mo but it's going to shoot real nice footage even though it's not high definition. 250 is an incredible price for this camera.

Hi,

I've just joined and was wondering what kit, lenses, tapes and accessories people recommend for the Canon XL1.

I've just bought one on ebay (cheap out of auction due to it needing a head replacement), and it'll be going off for a full service as soon as it arrives, but I've just got the basics.

Thanks,

Matt

In addition to the above, I looked into UV/Protector filters today. My local London Camera Exchange recommend the Hoya UV/Protectors (72mm for the XL1) suggesting the newer HD version.

But thinking about it, will a HD version make any real differents, after all the XL1 is not HD, so unless they made significant improvements over the older non-HD range, is it really worth paying the extra?

My XL1 arrives in the morning, and I'm eager to start using it. I think my software of choice will be Final Cut for my Macbook Pro, even though my crazy powerful Intel Skulltrail dual Quad Core Extreme system (Intel Skulltrail and Windows 7 | GE3K) has more than enough power, I'm tempted by the lure of Final Cut over Premiere. I'm also hoping to find a reasonable controller service/jog wheel as when I first learnt editing back in 1995, I used a Panasonic analogue setup.

Default Xl1

I know its late in the lday, but is your xl1 still available?

Sounds dodgy with all that kit for 250, the wide angle lens on its own is probably worth near enough that.

I'm still waiting for mine to come back from servicing and repairs. The tape tensioner needed replacing, and the view finder screen and board is faulty. When the camera comes up to temperature the viewer finder image would break up. Although this doesn't matter now as I bought a 7" screen and brackets for the camera.

From what I've been told the view finder parts are difficult to get, and he's been waiting on Canon to ship them into the UK. Even with that in mind, 3-4 months later and it's beginning to take the p*ss.

In the mean time I've found out that there's an adaptor which will allow me to use my professional DSLR Nikon lenses on my Canon XL-1. Result! I have a wide angle 17-35mm lens and a 8mm fisheye lens which I'm keen to try out on the XL-1. I also have a 18-70mm and 70-210mm lenses.

35mm filming here I come