Hmmm ... interesting.
I am fairly sure that Video Studio makes a note of its shortcuts in a DAT file, so that makes life a little bit more difficult. You could try this workround though.
1. From the Tools menu select Library Manager and click the New button
2. Name a new folder of to your own choosing click the OK button followed by the Close button (Incidentally I always place shortcuts to my own video clips in custom folders and then delete the folder when I am finished)
3. Navigate back to the Video Folder. Highlight those clips you want to keep and press CTRL-C
4. Navigate to your new folder and press CTRL-V
5. Now go back to the video folder and select all thumbnails. Press the Delete key.
6. Answer YES to delete the Thumbnails and NO to the original video clips (IMPORTANT DO NOT DELETE THE ORIGINAL VIDEO CLIPS).
7. If that works, and if you want to, you can copy the shortcuts back to the video folder from your custom folder using the same method.
I can, of course, only test this so far, as I do not (currently) encounter any errors of the sort you describe.
Can you post the specific error code you get just before Studio crashes?
Meantime hope that helps.
COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11
Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.