Thread: Sonicfire Pro & Windows 7 64bit Professional

Default Sonicfire Pro & Windows 7 64bit Professional

Well I have run into my first problem with Windows 7.

I use Premier Elements 7 to edit. I usually export the edit as a DV AVI file using the PAL widescreen template from PE7. This has always imported into Sonicfire Pro and allowed me to edit the smartsound files.

Today I have tried it for the first time and I find that I cannot scrub through the video track like I used to do. The video plays fine and as I scrub the timeline I can see the playbar indicator moving but the video frames being displayed do not change. If I hit play at the new location it plays fine. The video track is linked to the smartsound track.

At the moment its unusable to edit the music to. Any ideas folks? I am still brand new to this 64bit Mlarky. I just let the software do its own thing when it installed and received no error messages.

Shrimpy

Have you tried emulation mode ie get Windows 7 to emulate your previous set up, Windows XP 32bit. I don't have Windows 7 so I don't know how it's done I've just read that it does have this emulation mode.

Don't know if that is any kind of get around for you Shrimpy.

Blog Entries

I'd email their tech support (via the website). I normally get a prompt response - at least from Customer Services.

Windows 7 is listed as compatible and there's nothing on their site about 64bit so it's reasonable to assume it should work.

Out of interest - do other file formats work with it?
    Tim

Mpeg files do work but they are not as good to work with as DVI. I tried using compatability mode telling it to use Vista service pack 2, that seems to have done the trick. Stepping through a video is not as smooth as it was under XP mind.

I have emailed customer support.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post

I have emailed customer support.
    I'll be nagging you to let us know the outcome. At the moment I'm not too concerned that finances and work commitments have prevented me upgrading to x64
    Tim

Well if they ever get back to me Tim I will let you know. I have to say this is the second time I have contacted them. I didn't get a reply the first time so I will not be holding my breath.

Response from Smartsound

Hello Ken,
    The issue most likely is with the compression settings of the exported video. There are many different "flavors" of AVI files, and if you are using a lot of compression when you render the video, it could result in this issue, as the video file is being decompressed on the fly during playback, so scrubbing is not smooth. I would recommend trying a lower compression setting or perhaps a different format entirely and see if it helps. Sonicfire Pro simply uses Windows Media Player to play back the files, so if you can scrub the video in WMP, you should be able to in Sonicfire Pro.
    Hope this helps,
    Frank

Blog Entries

Hmmm.
    Doesn't really sound like they read your message (or you didn't give them as much info as you gave us). You've told us the compression it's using (PAL SD DV). And you've told them it worked fine on your 32bit system.
    Does it scrub OK in WMP? If so I think you need to report this back to them?

Unless you can't be bothered
    Tim

I found a way. Simply downgrade Windows Media Player 12 to WMP 11.
    First at all, you can download these player from web-adress: WMP 11 for Windows Seven.zip
    After that, just follow the instructions from here: Downgrade Windows Media Player 12 to WMP 11 on Windows 7 by Britec - YouTube
    That's all. Now you can scrubb your video frame by frame. (-: