Thread: capture ??

Default capture ??

Hi all
    Just joined here and was after advise on which is the best capture devise which will enable me to transfer old vhs tapes to my pc so I can burn to dvd and also have a go at editing.

Thanks
    twintown

Sorry wrong thread can some one move for me
    Last edited by twintown; 02-22-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: wrong thread

If you already have a digi camcorder you could save your money and use that.

I assume Midnight might be referring to a feature available on some camcorders which allow you to plug in composite video leads from a video recorder scart output, or composite output sockets and record your vhs tape onto the camcorder tape.

If the camcorder is digital, then you could re-import the footage via a firewire cable thus cutting out the need for a seperate capture card.

Other options would be to hook up the VCR to a recordable DVD recorder if one is to hand. Then rip the DVD into the PC by using one of the many DVD rippers available on the net.

The other option is to use a low cost device such as the Dazzle DVD recorder which plugs into your USB port and the leads from the video recorder plug into that and allow you to record whatever your playing.

As your intending to copy VHS tapes, the final quality will only be the same as you see on your tv screen when you play the tapes.

As for editing software, well dont forget that Windows moviemaker software comes with Windows. I am not sure if you can burn a DVD with it though?

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I assume Midnight might be referring to a feature available on some camcorders which allow you to plug in composite video leads from a video recorder scart output, or composite output sockets and record your vhs tape onto the camcorder tape.

If the camcorder is digital, then you could re-import the footage via a firewire cable thus cutting out the need for a seperate capture card.

Other options would be to hook up the VCR to a recordable DVD recorder if one is to hand. Then rip the DVD into the PC by using one of the many DVD rippers available on the net.

The other option is to use a low cost device such as the Dazzle DVD recorder which plugs into your USB port and the leads from the video recorder plug into that and allow you to record whatever your playing.

As your intending to copy VHS tapes, the final quality will only be the same as you see on your tv screen when you play the tapes.

As for editing software, well dont forget that Windows moviemaker software comes with Windows. I am not sure if you can burn a DVD with it though?

Hope this helps

Thanks for that . been looking at the capture devises like Dazzel but want to use one that could be recommended as there are so many types out there. I realize the vhs wont be the best quality I just want to preserve them for now.

Thanks for you help.

Blog Entries

I don't have any first hand experience, but were I after this, I'd probably go for one of the Canopus devices. In particular I'd get one which allows conversion both ways as I could use the device to monitor my work on a "real" TV. Of course this might all become irrelavent if my work became HD.
    Tim

Well in order to decide on what to go for you need to mention your budget and the PC your going to be using it with. If its the transfer of a couple of videos then no need to pay for more quality than you need.

However, if its the start of a hobby then you may wish to go for something that is a little more future proof.

My nephew uses the Dazzle Platinum to record his gameplay from an Xbox 360 which he then edits using Premier Elements 7. The picture quality is surprisingly good I think, but keep in mind that he is grabbing from a really good picture source. I mentioned the Dazzle because they are cheap. Also they are very simple to setup and there are lots of Youtube videos showing you how to use them.

The Canopus cards will be higher quality and they have facilities to lock the audio synchronisation over long captures.