Thread: Which PC Spec For Better Performance?

Default Which PC Spec For Better Performance?

Hi,

I am by no means a beginner when it comes to PCs, building them and so on. However, I am fairly new to camcorders, HD video and Adobe CS4.

I have a PC running Windows 7 (64 bit) with 2.3Ghz Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor, 4GB RAM, an ATI 256MB Radeon X1950 graphics card and two big hard drives.

When using After effects, Premiere, etc. play back is choppy and especially in Premiere playback of my project in the right hand window is a bit hit and miss, even at 25% in draft mode.

Which bit of my PC should I upgrade first to start overcoming this? I am on a bit of a budget otherwise I would go the whole hog with mobo, chip, graphics, the lot.

So, would a bigger graphics card or RAM do the job or should I look at processing power first?

Thanks,
    Stu

What type of footage are you editing?

If It's HD, Most Defiantly the CPU. Try overclocking first and see what results you get.

If it's SD, Then try doing a fresh install of windows, or have two seperate instals, one for general computer and the seccond one for Video editing alone.

The general consensus on this forum is that you need a quad core processor to edit HD. Or if Premier will allow use proxy files to do the editing.

4. Default Hello,

The Dell Adamo XPS was such a beautiful machine. Ostensibly, it aped the MacBook Air, in that it was a machine so thin that it seemed like an easy task to use it through slice through a human jugular. Okay, not quite, but it was 9.9mm thin, which is an awful small footprint to shove

Thats a nice (but expensive) laptop.