Thread: Need Advice ASAP!

Default Need Advice ASAP!

Hello everyone I'm new to these boards and to video editing in general, so much so I don't even have a video-editing computer with which to work with! I was wondering if anyone could reccomend which is better: A video-editing computer or an Apple iMac/Powermac.

I was looking specifically at the introductory Poweroid video editing system (http://www.bestpricecomputers.ltd.uk/pro/9212/9212.asp) but was also looking at iMac's/Powermacs (can somone tell me which would be better, I am assuming Powermacs)

So really it is between these two. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forums.

You can't compare a mac with a pc, but this question has been asked and asnwered many a time. Quick summary is:

If you're a professional, money isn't an issue and it'll be used soley for multimedia work, then get a mac. If the answer is no to all or any of the above, get a PC.

If you're on a low budget, you can get a 1.2GHz Mac Mini for $500. It comes free with iMovie, which is surprisingly good for a cheap video editing software.
    AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754; 1.6GHz)
    Chaintech VNF3-250
    768MB Crucial PC2100 (I know, I really need PC3200 :()
    ATI Radeon 9200

Blog Entries

Those mini macs sure are cute, but you'll want wack some extra RAM in straight away if the reviews I've read are anything to go by

Videonoob > Think you've outgrown your forum name

AND WHY AM I UP SO LATE?

If you go the mac route and your only just starting out in video editing I would go for an iMac with final cut express 2. Then if you find you enjoy it and want to move on, you can always upgrade to final cut pro HD. The only reason for going for a Power Mac would be to run the full production suite (FCP/DVD studio/Motion). The programs will run on an iMac but something like Motion would run like a dog!

However as Marl says if its just a hobby then its will probably be cheaper and more practical to go for a PC based system.

Intel P4 2.6GHz
    1Gb RAM
    Pioneer DVD-R107
    80Gb(System) + 2 x 200GB(Media)
    Avid Xpress DV, Encore, Audition

Plus - P4 2.8GHx, 1GB RAM, DVR 108, Geforce FX 5900XT

[Plus]

There's no doubt that a Mac will make life easier for you.

It's not like 15 years ago when a Mac costs the best part of 5,000.

These days an iMac is just 899 and Final Cut Express is 199 and is exactly the same programme as Final Cut Pro, only you can't make 35mm film EDL's or work in uncompressed D9, DigiBeta or HD formats (not the prosumer compressed MPEG2 HD you understand, this will work fine in Final Cut Express HD, hence the name).

I stuggled with PC based NLE systems for years, I switched over to Mac 3 years ago and I gotta tell you, it was like getting my sight back after being blind for 8 years.
    The green top I\'m wearing in my Avatar is a disguise. I can sneak around on a Green Screen set without being seen by the editor during post