Thread: My latest video: My car - its more interesting than it sounds trust me!

Default My latest video: My car - its more interesting than it sounds trust me!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSmtq4oVWw"]YouTube - Patrick McCullagh's Peugeot 106 "Retrospectrum"[/ame]

C&C Welcome

PS id be grateful if a mod could move this to the proper part of the forum

all the footage is actually all original - my bad :(
    Last edited by NAZmedia; 02-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.

Well on the surface it ticks all the boxes. Bad ass music, nice car, sexy girls, good variety of shots, cut to the beat editing. but some how lacks something. I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it's a narrative thing ? May be this, as the video doesn't take us on a journey, so to speak. We are on a beach, then driving on a road, then flash back to the beach, then in a town, This loses some linear narrative for me.

I think there is to much footage of the rising suspension. Once it's been seen a few times that's enough, even though you make the effort to shoot it from many angles to keep the interest there.

May be I just can't put myself in the right viewing mind set of the intended audience.

Sorry if this is a confusing critique, I'm getting myself confused because you seem to do everything right and I can't spot what it is. Something really subjective like lack of soul ?

The opening titles weren't so hot and it was too long for this type of video. These are the only things I can put my finger on.

Over all you have put a lot of work into this to make it interesting. I appreciate the effort you have put in to it. Sorry if this isn't very helpful.

Blog Entries

Liked the animated beginning.
    Didn't like the series of "stills".
    Then it model came onto the scene and I didn't even notice the lack of narrative as I was too busy waiting for her next appearance

(Insert clicé stuff about beautifuly body, nice upholstery etc to suit)

In all seriousness, I think Midnight is 100% spot on: too many shots of silly suspension, well edited, a good mix of shots but it didn't take us on a "journey".

Having said that, i normally bail at about 30 secs with car vids. This one kept me going until the end.
    Tim

I am afraid I have to agree with the previous comments. However, I guess we are not the target audience. If it was not for the pretty girls I would have bailed also fairly soon but then again I have no interest in cars other than the better start when I turn the key.

As for the camera work and the editing that all seemed fine for me and there was a lot of thought into getting different angles.

The only hole I could pick in the film/edit would be the distracting inclusion of the camera car in one shot, otherwise it was well done.
    However, I agree totally with those venerable gentlemen before me in that the only reason I watched right through had nothing to do with the car!

To make it work there does need to be a journey through the piece, taking the viewer from one place to another, which shouldn't be too difficult with a car vid! And especially with the other talents you have on hand!!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I will start by saying i never even thought of where the video was taking us - i do however totally see your points though.

Narrative?? hmmm to be honest in other videos that i have taken inspiration from there is no narrative - its like let the music and the footage do the talking - i guess in that case this didnt really work.

I had planned a different middle section that unfortunately didnt come about due to location and lack of lighting.

With reference to the camera car being in shot - i wanted the wheel in shot if im honest - i know on the final angle you can just catch the bumper though which shouldnt have happened.

Lol at "silly suspension" - i guess alot of people see it like that but that is the cars main "trick". But like you said its not really the right audience perhaps.

Dunno if i should put up my other video now :S - although thanks for the constructive criticism.

Please don't be put off by our critique, it's not a criticism of you or your ability to make car videos. In fact I see you have real talent at it. It's our intention to help you improve what you do. So may be one day you could show one of yours side by side with a Top Gear video and not tell the difference.

One thing I have learned in the editing chair is unless you are 100% satisfied with the clip leave it out. May be think about editing the music so you can shorten your videos, as 3:33 is a bit to long without something like a voice over to help it.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAZmedia View Post
    Narrative?? hmmm to be honest in other videos that i have taken inspiration from there is no narrative - its like let the music and the footage do the talking - i guess in that case this didnt really work.
    I suspect you're confusing narrative with narration.
    By narrative, we means a story, a direction. Something which leads the viewer from one 'place' (be that a phsyical location or just an understanding) to another. Hopefully it will encourage the viewer to want to know what's coming next and thus maintain interest.

But have you noticed when the chips are down how shallow we all are
    Last edited by TimStannard; 02-18-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Tim

No guys it wont put me off - im actually delighted im getting direction to be honest. I'll put up the other video so you can have a look - again its car related (apologies for that)

The music is already edited - there is a good minute taken out from that song and the same can be said of the next video i will show you.

You lot are as shallow as i could have imagined :P

I wasnt 100% happy with the Still photos i used as someone pointed out earlier. TBH i found that trying to edit video footage so quickly to the beat of the music was difficult and found still easier.

The footage was taken last year and to try and organise my friends again to do more shots - put it like this i didnt want to be "shot" myself lol

I do have a number of car related videos to come - however i really dont want to get stuck making car related videos.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAZmedia View Post
    PS id be grateful if a mod could move this to the proper part of the forum
    Done, as requested
    Tim