Thread: HD Video Multi-cam editing problems...

Exclamation HD Video Multi-cam editing problems...

I'm having difficulties with multi-cam HD editing. I think I've identified the problem. When I work with more than 2 camera video feeds, the hard drive can not read the data fast enough to be processed.

Using 3 different video players as a test (iTunes, VLC, and WMP), I determined that the video could be played fine... until I launch the 3rd video file. Monitoring my hard drive performance, I see it is maxed out at 100 percent. I'm going to try using an external hard drive to read the 3rd video file from... but surely there must be a better way. UPDATE: I just tested this, and am able to play the 3 files flawlessly so long as two are running off of my 7200RPM internal hard drive, and one off my external hard drive. Apparently this IS the problem.

The video file format is in .mp4 in 720p at 60FPS. I tried using Premiere CS4 and Sony Vegas Pro 9... both freeze and crash when attempting to do multi-cam HD video editing.

My laptop is brand new, purchased for this reason... i7-720qm 4 Processor Core Hyperthread 1.6ghz -> 2.8ghz turbo with 4GB of RAM. Hard drive read technology seems to be the limiting factor.

How have some of you dealt with this issue?

Are there any external hard drives with extremely fast read rates that could accomodate multiple HD video feeds simultaneously? What type of cable connection would they need to use to transfer the data quickly enough? Any one know of any available? I will be working with 4 HD video feeds most of the time so will at least need an external hard drive capable of reading 2 HD video feeds, preferably 4 (for simplicity).

Update: I THINK... I'm in need of a 15,000RPM external hard drive with firewire 800 connection for extremely fast read times and data transfer rates. Anyone know of such a thing?
    Last edited by mcarther101; 02-17-2010 at 07:19 AM.

My first suggestion is that you need to get your media off your system drive. Leave that for Premiere or Vegas. Then stick an eSata port doubler in your PCMCIA slot and run a couple of fast drives off it. I've always found that applications and media don't sit well on the same drive.

Thanks. What is a eSata port doubler?

I was looking into getting a WD Velociraptor 10,000RPM external drive with eSata connection. I would prefer to find a 15,000RPM drive though, is there any faster drive? Or would it even matter to have 15,000RPM vs 10,000RPM with eSata?

What is the greater limiting factory eSATA speed, or external disk drive spindle speed?

Also, has anyone tried partial stroking hard drives to increase their speed? Is this effective?
    How higher RPM hard drives rip you off | George Ou | ZDNet.com
    Last edited by mcarther101; 02-18-2010 at 04:33 AM.

Sorry "port doubler" is what I call it. See link for what I'm talking about.

Dual Port ExpressCard 34mm eSATA 3Gb/s 300Mbps SATA II Card RAID

10k and 15k drives are faster but expensive real estate. It depends if you want TB's of hard disk space and whether money is no object. A lot cheaper to stick with 7200's in a basic raid setup like this link.

Duo-eSATA

I'm not specifically recommending these systems just the general format.

just get an esata drive.

10k and 15k drives are not going to give you any more performance.