Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding media between clips as a transition

1. Default adding media between clips as a transition

gday

i know this shit annoys you all and i wish i knew someone else that had vegas but i dont so i got 2 questions for you.

if ive got 2 cut clips and some media that i want to use that ive made seperate to overlap the 2 cuts as a transition how do i do it? im trying to just stick it on there like a crossfade but it doesnt appear as an overlay transition, which is what i want. it just play the inserted media

...and this is gonna sound retarded but how do i simply do overlay text over a cut?

Quote Originally Posted by seawasp View Post
    ...and this is gonna sound retarded but how do i simply do overlay text over a cut?
    Unless I've misunderstood the question, put the TEXT on a track ABOVE the main track spanning the CUT/X-Fade.

Oh, and BTW, no need for the use of "SHIT" and "RETARDED" - no need at all. Others will have their own mileage on it. Just ask the questions and if there are answers people will assist.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Unless I've misunderstood the question, put the TEXT on a track ABOVE the main track spanning the CUT/X-Fade.

Oh, and BTW, no need for the use of "SHIT" and "RETARDED" - no need at all. Others will have their own mileage on it. Just ask the questions and if there are answers people will assist.
    ok that answers the text question but what about if i want to use media as a transition however leaving the 2 cuts visual the whole time. atm it will just go from 1 cut to the inserted media(whether i put it on the above track or not) to the second cut. i want the 2 cuts to play smooth with the media as just a 1 second flash transition over both cuts simultaniously. like a crossfade does i guess

are you with me?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seawasp View Post

are you with me?
    Not really! Are you saying you want event "A" to transition to yout "transition footage" then to event "B". Surely not as that's simply 2 transitions.

If you want your "transition" footage to appear overlaid over the transition between "A" and "B", put it on the track above and then fade it in and out.

If you just want a "flash" between "A" and "B", then overlap the events for a few frames and drop as "flash" transition on the overlap.

Or am I missing something ...
    Tim

Are you saying you want to SEE the 3rd video but ALSO see the 1st and 2nd too? If this is the case then you WILL need to INCREASE the Transparency ( that is reduce its opacity) of that 3rd Video? I'd still put it on the track above the X-fade and lower its Levels; make a Parent Child Compo and employ one of the Compo affects. You are going to have to somehow remove some of the visual info otherwise the tracks under will be obscured. I can see many creative ways to do this, but I'd need to be assured that THIS was what you were wanting?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Are you saying you want to SEE the 3rd video but ALSO see the 1st and 2nd too? If this is the case then you WILL need to INCREASE the Transparency ( that is reduce its opacity) of that 3rd Video? I'd still put it on the track above the X-fade and lower its Levels; make a Parent Child Compo and employ one of the Compo affects. You are going to have to somehow remove some of the visual info otherwise the tracks under will be obscured. I can see many creative ways to do this, but I'd need to be assured that THIS was what you were wanting?

yeh thats what im after. im all ears

7. Default

[QUOTE=TimStannard;135104]Not really! Are you saying you want event "A" to transition to yout "transition footage" then to event "B". Surely not as that's simply 2 transitions.

If you want your "transition" footage to appear overlaid over the transition between "A" and "B", put it on the track above and then fade it in and out.

tried the fade in/out of the transition media, it works quite well and is simple but id like to improve on it

thanks for the flash effect aswell.

8. Default fading media in/out over 2 cuts

ive made a 2 min clip and uploaded it on youtube to show you what i have done between cuts. i just put the media on a track above the track with the cuts and faded in and out. its okay but im sure you guys know how to improve it. i want to predominately just use crossfades between cuts but i also want to do alot of this kind of 'transition' if thats the right word for what im doing.

also at the start i did the same thing with the green media but it didnt seem to work so well. heres a link to the clip to give you guys an idea of what im talking about.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB-IX0b92Es]YouTube - oct30-2007.wmv[/ame]

any advice is appreciated

I'm guessing you don't want the black during the transition. I'm not as much of an expert as Grazie but you could try this.

On the track that you put the transition on, select the composing mode (little green boxes next to the slider, to the left of the time line). Select Screen, normally Source Alpha is selected. This should make the black go away.

Hope this helps.

10. Default

thanks exactly what im wanting grazie. do you have the time to elaborate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast