Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you do it with the lights on or off ?

Default Do you do it with the lights on or off ?

No not that. lol

I'm talking about editing. I always do my editing with the lights off is this normal or do most of you do the same ?

lights off here.... which I shouldn't because that is really bad for the eyes... at the end I need to either rest my eyes for a few minutes of turn a lil lamp on that is good enough to not just have my screen looking like the moon in the dark sky (dark room) lol
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

Lights on for me. On a dimmer.

Blog Entries

Room lights off... but with a few strategically placed lights on dimmers to illuminate work surfaces.

LOL, am like a women, can't make my mind up.....lol sometimes on sometimes off'ish, like Gaffer except mine aren't strategically placed. lol

Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose it's not really important if the lights are on or off but what might be important is always having a constant.

I know on my LCD screen the picture looks different when viewed with the lights on or off. So when your judging Brightness/Darkness, colour etc you need the uniformity to keep the consistency.

Most of my editing is done at night when I can get some "me time", to immerse myself into the project. It's amazing how focused you have to be when editing, even then you can still miss obvious things. Well I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose it's not really important if the lights are on or off but what might be important is always having a constant.
    The constant is important, and therefore I keep a daylight desklamp on over the desk at all times! Computer monitors should, ideally, be calibrated and considering what some of you Guys spend on those computers, the cost of a calibration device is peanuts!

It was talked about a couple of months or so ago on these forums, but as a secondary subject, but it is an important part of any visual workflow.
    I only use a cheap spyder (around £50) which will only calibrate a single screen, so I calibrate my main screen regularly (once a month) and use that screen for all my previews, with the tools on the secondary screen where the colour doesn't matter.
    The calibration is done with the desk lamp turned on as usual and therefore the calibrator takes it into account.

So yes, lights on, constantly, day and night!
    Last edited by IanA; 02-16-2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: emphasis
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Thats an interesting point Ian. I've only ever calibrated my monitor once and never touched the adjustments since then. Even then it was just done by eye using some downloaded software.

Why do you feel you need to calibrate your screen so often?

Screens change over time/use. The older CRT's were terrible for it, but more modern LCD's etc are still prone to the problem.
    Mine are on probably close to 500hrs a month so a monthly regime seems sensible to me.

I've left it longer on occasion and the difference is far more marked on those calibrations, although only minimal when done monthly.

There are more expensive tools on the market that will do multiple screens, take ambient into consideration constantly, and match printer output etc but I feel they are not really nescessary or cost effective. The simple 1 screen jobbie that I use has always done me proud.
    And it does make a difference, not least to your own confidence.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I can really appreciate how important it is to have a correctly calibrated screen. I wonder if Shrimpy has done his new screen.

I remember a guy posting a video a while back when most people commented about the colour being over saturated and him saying it was fine on his screen.

You touch on a trouble spot that I hadn't thought of which is balancing for the printer. Would you have to use two different screens one balanced for video work and one for photo/print out put ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast