Thread: Trouble Capturing HDV Video

Default Trouble Capturing HDV Video

I'm having a hard time capturing video from my Sony HDV-HC7 Hi-Def Camcorder. I'm running Premiere Pro CS4 on a DellStudio system running Win 7 64 bit Ultimate. It has an intel i7 CPU (8 cores) with 12 gm of RAM.

When I run Premiere and select Capture it opens up the capture window correctly and allows me to control the camcorder. The camera is connected and working. However it won't capture. I have tried to capture several ways:

1. log the in and out points on the tape and then do a batch capture.
    2. capture the entire tape.
    3. manually press record when the correct scene is cued on the camcorder.

Each time the result is the same, nothing is captured. The play counter shows the tape is playing and I can see the tape playing but the recorded scene length remains at 00:00:00

I am connected via 4-pin (camera) to 6pin (computer) via firewire. I do not have a dedicated capture card unless my Hauppauge Win TV HVR-1250 can be considered a capture card. My firewire is off the system board so I don't have a dedicated firewire card in the system.

I've gone through Adobe's troubleshooting tips and none of the options helped.

I should add that I have the same problem trying other software like Premiere Elements 8.0 and Sony Picture Motion Browser so I'm guessing it's a hardware issue.

I appreciate any suggestions. Do I need a dedicated video capture card? If so, what do you suggest? Do I need a 4 pin Firewire port rather than a 6 pin? Do I need a sony dedicated cable as some forums suggest?

Thanks in advance.

wcameron
    Last edited by wcameron; 02-12-2010 at 05:22 PM.