Thread: Need stock war footage

Default Need stock war footage

Hey.
    A local choir in my area are performing a concert in a big venue and wanted some sort of visual accompaniment.
    I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good and cheap resources with war footage that I could use to put together my own video to go with the music?

Thanks.

You could try searching the internet movie archieve

I have a stupid question. Why would a "choir" want to perform against a background of war images?

4. Default

Imperial war museum have lots of stock I think for non-commercial use it's about 25 for 20mins worth of footage - so I was told by a third party so check first!

British Pathe are soon to make their archive available to the public. Right now you can go to their site and view trailers British Pathe it's not just war but a whole host of social & event film footage on their sight. I was in contact with them recently, the public downloads should be on-line by April but I suspect the fee may well be on the higher side

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Blog Entries

That's useful, castman. Thanks. I was recently on the Pathe site looking at the pieces. Didn't realise they have plans to release them.
    Tim

6. Default

Tim,
    I was looking for some WW1 footage for a family history film I'm making. I found what I wanted on the Pathe site but couldn't see a way of downloading it - unless I was a museum or education establishment - so I emailed them to ask if I could buy just one clip. They replied (two weeks ago) saying that they were going to be re-vamping their site so allow the public to download footage within the next 7-8 weeks.

I was somewhat disheartened when I then got an email from one of their team asking for my input regarding what I would consider a good price per clip, their idea of a good price started at around 35 for personal, non-commercial use - which I thought was too expensive. I replied to that effect and pointed them in the direction of what the Imperial War Museum charges - they said they were thankful for my input...we'll see how thankful!

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee

Blog Entries

Well done castman.
    So many of us moan about the cost of this or that without taking the trouble to tell the establishment what they would be prepared to pay.
    Tim

8. Default

Tim,
    Don't forget that everything in life is negotiable. I rarely pay asked for prices. I work in what is laughably referred to as 'showbiz' (the clue is in my name) and know that even the professional companies haggle over prices - it's expected, which is probably why they go in at a high price in the first place.

It's a bit like the antique business - watch programmes like Bargain Hunt, the dealer has something marked up at a hundred quid, ends up selling it to one of the teams for sixty, probably bought it for thirty! but the buyer thinks he got a huge 40% discount so well happy!

Castman
    Uses:
    Canon XH-G1
    Sony Vegas Pro 9e
    gallons of coffee