Thread: Fade Question

Default Fade Question

I have searched for this problem on the forums and through google for the past few hours but so far I've had no luck. I apologize in advance if this has already been answered, it just points to the fact that my searching technique is flawed but here we go...

I have two unique video clips which are sequential. They are both 5 seconds long. Lets say the clip on the left is A and the clip on the right is B. So the total length of AB is 10 seconds long.

Now what I want is a FADE from black event across both the AB clips. So I want it to start fully black at 0 second mark at the beginning of A and become fully translucent at the 10 second mark at end of B.

Unfortunately, Sony Vegas does not allow me fade across two separate clips. I can either fade from black in A for 5 seconds and fade from black in B for 5 seconds individually.

So the only two solutions I can think of are...

1. Find a way to combine both A and B into a single clip and then drag Fade across the whole 10 second mark or...

2. Figure out a way to have a fade from black across both clips.

Please help

Quote Originally Posted by karpet22 View Post
    Unfortunately, Sony Vegas does not allow me fade across two separate clips.
    - Oh really?

Here are two to add to your list.

A] (Do you mean Fade or Level?) Insert a Level or Fade (?) Envelop to your single Track - done!

B] Add a NEW Track above and place a 10 second solid black and fade that from ZERO to 10 seconds.

And BTW, what do you mean by "Translucent" in your "...and become fully translucent "?

I mean you can fully see the video after the fade is finished going from black.

1. I am not sure how to do what you say in step 1. I used the Envelop tool to select my 10 seconds but I do not see any way for me to do a Fade. I cannot combine them into a single event.

2. I've added a new track but I do not know how to add a fully black event. Do I cover the video camera's lens for exactly 10 seconds and move the video to the computer?

Also assuming I do add this black 10 second track how do I make sure that BOTH of them are played at the same time and not just one overriding the other. For example....

If i have this 10 second black slab (lets cal it C) on track 1 and above the AB clips which are on track 2. How do I make sure that the video does not just play C the whole time overlapping AB? How do I merge the two tracks?

Also question. Why is there no option to fade across multiple events?

Thanks

Please do a SCREEN GRAB of your workspace and post it here.

Here is the screengrab ---> http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7970/testsr.jpg

Two clips each 5 seconds long. All I want is a fade from black to go across both of them. Ignore the black screen and media offline messages, it's all there.

Thank you

I mean you can fully see the video after the fade is finished going from black.
    Understood.

1. I am not sure how to do what you say in step 1. I used the Envelop tool to select my 10 seconds but I do not see any way for me to do a Fade. I cannot combine them into a single event.
    OK insert a Composite Levels Envelope - Right Click on the Track Header > Insert/remove > COMPOSITE LEVEL . This will give you a Levels Envelope that will run through ALL your Track, including both events. Now right Clicking on the Envelope allows you to place a Point. You can then GRAB the Point and drag it downwards, this will have the effect of darkening the Event, at the point and you achieve a sliding curve of lightening or darkening.

2. I've added a new track but I do not know how to add a fully black event.
    OK . . .. You place a BLACK Event from the Media Generator Tab. And Again you then insert a Composite Levels Envelope on Track 1.

However, I am still not convinced I have fully understood what you want to achieve, because you will NEVER get Event A fully seen and you will start off with Event B at a 50% Level?

I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve visually?

And I really don't understand, yet, your: "Why is there no option to fade across multiple events? "

Thank you - I got it to work by using the envelop automated Fade settings. I moved the blue bar in a diagonal fashion so I was able to get a graduate fade across both events. Thank you again, you karma went up today. Feel free to brag