Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod Question

Blog Entries

Default Tripod Question

My tripod head (Velbon PH53 had basically seized up and I needed a birthday present so looked for a replacement.

After much research (though not enough, it would appear) and on the basis that this video lark is not flash in the pan AND also on the basis that good tripod hardware will last a lifetime, I ordered a Manfrotto 501HDV.

I was somewhat surprised by the size of it (none of photos really give a sense of scale) which isn't really an issue, but I hadn't twigged that the thread on the base is 3/4" whereas my tripod legs are 1/4".

So, my question is basically what should I do?

I can (probably) return the head under the distance selling rules and get something else (but now I know what I look for all the "quality" heads seem to have 3/4" threads)

I can keep the head and wait until I can afford new legs (and get them delivered without Mrs S noticing)

Is this head total overkill for my NV-GS400 anyway?

Suggestions welcome.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I would suggest keeping it and getting a converter until you can afford (or hide) a better pair of legs.

Have a look in Amazon.co.uk for a "Manfrotto MN-088LBP Small Adapter - Converts 1/4" Female to 3/8" "

I have the 503 head and love it. In my opinion there's no such thing as an OTT tripod.

aaawwwwhhhhh; Manfrotto; Gaaaaafff am salivating at the thought. aaawwwhh! Manfrotto

Seriously good tripods

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    ...In my opinion there's no such thing as an OTT tripod.
    Until you have to hump it around all day.....

Like Tim I have a velborn and naively thought all tripods were around that price or may be as much as 100 for a good one. Boy was I surprised when I eventually looked at getting a new tripod.

I understand the better tripod heads will help with smooth pans etc. BUT what do you get with the 503 that you don't get with the 501 that would make 100 pound difference. They seem the same to me. Except the 503 can take a couple of kilos heavier camera. Is that the only difference.

Forgive the nooby type question but I've never really looked into tripods seriously enough to understand them.

Blog Entries

I must confess I dunno.

I assumed that the 503 was a true fluid head but that's not the case. I bought it for the XH A1 which I sometimes use with a matte box, filters and gubbins, so I wanted something which would support the weight plus a bit. Also, when I tried the heads out at Photokina the 503 seemed smoother to me.

They're probably identical with just a different sticker on the box but I felt that it was worth it.

Edit: A quick surf (anything to avoid work) and I see that the 501 only has one counterbalance position compared to four for the 503, the 503 has better "brakes" and a levelling bubble.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 02-10-2010 at 01:32 PM.

I see how the counter balancing could be important if you put on aftermarket lens, black box etc. I see how a light on the levelling bubble could be useful for night shooting. Do you need ABS on a tripod ?

Thanks for the up date.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Suggestions welcome.
    Keep it! I also have a 503 fluid head with 351MVB2 legs. OUTSTANDING equipment.

Blog Entries

(Gaffer's adaptor link)
    Thank you, Thank you. I searched for such a thing yesterday and couldn't find it (plenty that went the other way though)
    I'm really happy now.
    501 has a levelling bubble too. I thought the 503 was true fluid as well.

That really would have been beyond my budget and, despite what you say, OTT.

Off to buy the adapter now. Thanks all for your input.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 02-11-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Actually Gaffer's link appears to be Female to Male

I guess this TRIPOD BUSH THREAD ADAPTOR 1/4 TO 3/8: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo is what I want.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast