Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your top ten films of all time.

Default Your top ten films of all time.

Just for fun.

Rules -

You must have seen the film and own the film on DVD.

You must be choosing your top ten from at least 100 other DVDs you currently own.

You must be a proper film fan - not a mook.

Post your top ten, and some back and edit it when u add or remove anything. Might fly ?

I got into watching lots more films when people kept telling me it was a good way to learn and when I set up a home cinema.

A dark room and 7ft screen is the best way to watch films. This is how they should be watched.

My Current top ten.

1. Brief encounter - David Lean
    2. Hiroshima Mon Amour - Alain Resnais
    3. Code Unknown - Micheal Haneke
    4. Last Year In Marianbad - Alain Resnais
    5. Capturing The Friedmans - Andrew Jarecki.
    6. Robinson In Space - Patrick Keiller
    7. Three colours, Blue - Krysztof Kieslowski
    8. Somers Town - Shane Meadows
    9. Lord of the Flies - Peter Brook
    10. The Lives of others - Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

As a mook I'm disqualified from your top 10 fun list. BUT your number one is in my top 10. I like SciFi like Matrix and Blade Runner and musicals like Carousel, Show Boat, Little Shop of Horrors. I also like love Hanover Street which I consider to be Brief encounter in colour but not quite as good but the sound track is beautiful.

I don't know what a 'Mook' is (don't want to know) because I don't qualify because I don't have all of these on DVD but some on VHS:

The Producers
    Blazing Saddles
    Von Ryan’s Express
    Down Periscope
    Dante’s Peak
    The Bridge at Ramagen
    Jurassic Park
    Bridge on the River Kwi
    M*A*S*H
    Ben Hur
    Last edited by worddigger; 02-09-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post

A dark room and 7ft screen is the best way to watch films. This is how they should be watched.

think i would prefer imax in 3d mark

as for home viewing the newish District 9 on bluray looks damned fine om our 42" toshiba

A mook is many things - in this context a mook likes a film cos it is NEW and HOLLYWOOD - slavishly.
    None of us I hope

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    As a mook I'm disqualified from your top 10 fun list. BUT your number one is in my top 10. I like SciFi like Matrix and Blade Runner and musicals like Carousel, Show Boat, Little Shop of Horrors. I also like love Hanover Street which I consider to be Brief encounter in colour but not quite as good but the sound track is beautiful.
    See above for mook rules.

Going to read about Hanover st now..

As for my list - I prefer unhollywood - if you get me. But some of my top ten are in colour, some even in eglish, a few even both - gasp. many none of my friends will watch - lols.

Hanover street looks a bit cheesy to me after a read and may lack that david lean magic - peter hyams - he did 2010 and that i really like, but he isnt in the same legaue as david lean - or rther i love the period vibe of his older films.

It could be viewed as cheesy. BUT if you add in the excellent ww2 period details, Good cinematography, moral dilemma, Action, Lesley Ann Down (at her peak), Christopher Plummer, Harrison Ford and a music score that could make you weep (well it does me). It takes the cheese and melts it on toast AND who doesn't like cheese on toast

Like I said "Brief encounter in colour but not quite as good" I agree it's not the same league as David Lean.

k - well - you may have talked me into it there - I ( blush shame ) love titanic - gah - there i said it - now i am a mook - is 49 in my top 50. So what you said did it - lols.

My excuse is that I am a bit gay at times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast