Thread: Vegas Movie STudio Platinum 9.0 crashing during Render on Vista 64 bit??

Default Vegas Movie STudio Platinum 9.0 crashing during Render on Vista 64 bit??

Please help? I am running the 30 day trial of Movie Studio Platinum 9.0b on a 64 bit Quad core with 6.Gb of Ram.

I have created a couple different projects about 5-10 mins length using about 20 different .mt2s files from a sony HD handycam, with one video track, two audio, and a few text overlays.

When I try to render, Vegas crashes consitently, or freezes with the elpased time still running but no frames being processed. I have tried playing with a variety of render parameters suggested in various forums and keep having the same problem.

Can any one shed some light on the compatibility o Vista 64 bit and Movie studio? or anything to try or a direction to go?? Please!!

I was having the same problem except with Windows 7 64 bit. Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum using .m2ts AVCHD files from my Sony camcorder. It always crashed during rendering. I did some research and found a lot of people having the same problem with Vegas Pro and Movie Studio. I found the solution on a Sony Vegas forum somewhere. I have lost the website link to the information, but below is what it said (I copied the info to a document and saved it for future reference. I pasted it into this message.) This solved the problem for me, and according to the forum where I read this, it solved it for other people also. I hope it solves it for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google "CFF Explorer", download and install it.
    Most 32 bit exe and dll files have a 2 gig maximum memory cap. I've been playing around with CFF EXPLORER (free download) which is a program that allows you to easily open the exe or dll and click the 2 gig memory switch that allows it to use more than 2 gig.

(the .dll's listed below are in the program's folder in the subfolder FileIO Plug-Ins)
    Reset the memory flags in
    >For Vegas Pro: vegas80.exe or vegas90.exe) ... or for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum: VegasmoviestudioPE90.exe)
    >m2tsplug.dll
    >mcstdh264dec.dll
    >sonymvd2pro_xp.dll
    to "greater than 2gig"

How to do this:
    open the CFF Explorer program as administrator
    goto file\open
    then find the file... (one of the files listed above)
    On the left side you'll see "NT HEADER".... "DOS HEADER"... etc
    Highlight "FILE HEADER" under "NT HEADER"
    On the right side you'll see a chart and in the bottom right corner you will see "CLICK HERE"
    Click on that and a check box menu system will open.
    Scroll down the menu list until you see "app can handle > than 2gig address space" and check that.
    Save the file and close.

Open the others and do the same.

MAKE SURE YOU DO A BACKUP COPY OF THE FILES BEFORE CHANGING THEM JUST IN CASE YOU GET INTO TROUBLE!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Same here

I also use Win7 x64 and have the same problem with the Sony AVC encoder. With projects of a running time over about 10-15 minutes, I CANNOT get a full render. I get "render failed for an unspecified reason" What a piece of garbage.

Be sure to check out my earlier post about Core i7 machines and hyperthreading. That COULD help.

Any software engineer that writes code that gives so little diagnostic information should be fired! I have no idea of where to start trying to fix this problem.

I tried the fixes listed above, but they didn't fix the problem. I am going to resort to splitting into smaller projects and stitching them together later, but I should NOT have to do this. I'm using video from a Sony camera with Sony's software using Sony's AVC encoder...I mean...come on!

Does anyone know of a good way to debug VMS9?
    Last edited by Willyb; 02-09-2010 at 02:22 AM.

Default Fix for me

I got this tip from another post and it seems to have worked for me. I was having a nightmare time trying to use Vegas Platinum 9.0b to render a project. Whatever format I tried, I would get random crashes. I was using a couple of large JPG image files taken straight off my HD camcorder. I opened the image files in PaintShopp Pro and resaved them as JPG with 10% compression. The images still looked great but came down from 2MB to 150Kb each. Whether it is by fluke or not, my project now renders every time and in any format. So, are you including large images?

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You dalemccl. It worked for me. CFF Explorer method worked for me. Could not render 15 minute m2ts video and could render 10 minutes or less if video was under 1GB. Once I made those dll changes with CFF Explorer, 15 minute video 1.6GB size file rendered in just under 3 hours with no hitch. Why can't Sony fix that???

Google "CFF Explorer", download and install it.
    Most 32 bit exe and dll files have a 2 gig maximum memory cap. I've been playing around with CFF EXPLORER (free download) which is a program that allows you to easily open the exe or dll and click the 2 gig memory switch that allows it to use more than 2 gig.

(the .dll's listed below are in the program's folder in the subfolder FileIO Plug-Ins)
    Reset the memory flags in
    >For Vegas Pro: vegas80.exe or vegas90.exe) ... or for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum: VegasmoviestudioPE90.exe)
    >m2tsplug.dll
    >mcstdh264dec.dll
    >sonymvd2pro_xp.dll
    to "greater than 2gig"

How to do this:
    open the CFF Explorer program as administrator
    goto file\open
    then find the file... (one of the files listed above)
    On the left side you'll see "NT HEADER".... "DOS HEADER"... etc
    Highlight "FILE HEADER" under "NT HEADER"
    On the right side you'll see a chart and in the bottom right corner you will see "CLICK HERE"
    Click on that and a check box menu system will open.
    Scroll down the menu list until you see "app can handle > than 2gig address space" and check that.
    Save the file and close.

Open the others and do the same.

MAKE SURE YOU DO A BACKUP COPY OF THE FILES BEFORE CHANGING THEM JUST IN CASE YOU GET INTO TROUBLE!!!

I have had the same problems
    I tried all of the CFF instructions and that did help a little but did not fix the problem.
    I noticed that the render was crashing when trying to process large Images with page peels.

Firstly i reduced the file size of images with compression as suggested and this did not work.

So then I resized the images to the size of my render output (in my case 1440 X 1080)
    The original files were from an 18Megapixel camera.

This worked a treat and now no more problems

This may help those who are haveing the problem and have images in there story line

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamBKay View Post
    I have had the same problems
    I tried all of the CFF instructions and that did help a little but did not fix the problem.
    I noticed that the render was crashing when trying to process large Images with page peels.

Firstly i reduced the file size of images with compression as suggested and this did not work.

So then I resized the images to the size of my render output (in my case 1440 X 1080)
    The original files were from an 18Megapixel camera.

This worked a treat and now no more problems

This may help those who are haveing the problem and have images in there story line
    Three things. Move to Windows 7, upgrade Movie Studio 11 and cool down your CPU. I use a laptop and now use a cooling fan pad. When CPU temps go over 220 f program slows or crashes. Rendering heats up the CPU a lot.

This may be way out - but as far as I know Vegas Studio is 32-bit so maybe your PC's OS is having conflicting issues. Might be worth checking with Sony creative site - there is lots of useful info there.

For 64-bit you need the Pro-version and register either as 32, or 64.... that's my take, FWIW.

I use Studio 10 and it accepts HD 1920 x 1080 50i if it crashes, it's usually because I've far too busy a timeline - but it recovers with the saved-version . . . very impressive, although I try to Save more frequently.

Reducing file-sizes may be agood fix, but I don't see why it would do anything more than slow down rendering.

Overheating CPU's must to be avoided - as you can get odd shutdowns and the processor may close down cores to reduce the throughput (= heat). Also heat robs you of reliability and you can blow a chip. If handling the processor take antistatic precautions, or get your Dealer to reseat it, etc. check the fan(s) are running correctly.