Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black & White OR colour ?

Default Black & White OR colour ?

I have a scene which is a flash back to the 1060's. I shot it in colour but thought it might look nice in B&W. Is this kind of idea trite ? I'm to close to the project to be objective. I don't want to post the footage as it will spoil the surprise when I post the whole thing.

Any thoughts ?

I know it's a dumb question I'm in a dumb mood today.

Blog Entries

Do you mean the 1960s?

I hate stuff from the middle ages filmed with a "super 8" film look. They didn't have any film in the middle ages so why video it as though the local film society had just moved up from standard 8 ? So, Black & White would be just as naff in my opinion. I would use a slightly soft filter with a sepia cast if you need to separate stuff from 1060 with the present day.

If you meant 1960 then Black & White is fine.

Oops

Yes I meant 1960's lol

My fav sort of thing to waffle about...

That bw gag works for sure - but only in a trite way - it wasnt really black and white in 1066 - everyone was made from tapestry i think...

BW for old is the no brainer and works cos old films - bw - so must be olden days.

For me it depends on the context of the old bit. Often in films these bits are memory. My memories are hign sats on the colour, slightly slow mo, motion blurry and the good bits repeat - and I have seen similar used to good effect.

For dreams - you have to include a clip with a dwarf - you just must.

For drug flashbakcs - every fx at once must be used.

My personal pref for old is lower sats if not a personal flashback. I think too bw only good for hammy.

oh - I am thick it appears - i tht you mean Norman times...

But - one of my fav films - control - is set late seventies - that is bw and works fine and was used specifically to create a just old vibe. I enjoy obsessing over such things.

Quote Originally Posted by vertovian View Post
    For dreams - you have to include a clip with a dwarf
    Damn, I don't have a budget for a dwarf and where can you get one at such "short" notice. Ok that was lame.

The one thing that puts me off the B&W choice is that I lite it for colour so it looks a bit bland in B&W. I could turn up the contrast a little but that may loose some of the authenticity that I like to keep about my filming. I don't like to "fix it in post" I strive to capture it with the camera.

Get in camera - a purist then.
    I think high contrast bw may look too ' film noir ' .

Another just y day bw film is ' somerstown' by Shame Meadows - and that is in 90s but i dont know why the director chose bw for this film. But everyone should watch it as it really is great. 16mm bw rules.

Good point about the film noir, I don't want to give it that look.

I'm not experienced enough to call my self a purist. It's just something I strive for. I've only had my camera a few months so I'm still learning how to get the best out of it. There are so many buttons and options compared to the consumer camera I started with.

Blog Entries

It might be worth trying out a one or two colour conversion to black and white. ie lose the blue signal and convert the rest to B/W, if that doesn't work just leave the red channel and convert that. I don't know which software you use but it should possible. Failing that, I find adjusting the tone curve after converting to monochrome, works better than just adjusting the contrast to get the proper B/W look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast