Thread: Sound issues with Canon Legria & RODE mic

Default Sound issues with Canon Legria & RODE mic

Hi there, I am having sound issues when attaching a RODE NTG-1 mic to a Canon Legria HF s100. I am attaching the mic to the camera through a MicroPower PS400 48v phantom power supply, and I'm using male & female XLR cable to connect the mic to the phantom power box and an XLR to stereo Mini jack lead to attach the phantom power to the camera's mic input. When doing this I only get the left audio channel working, the right channel is silent apart from a slight hum.

Initially I thought it was a headphone problem, but on the recorded video the audio is the same. I can rectify this by manipulating the audio track in Soundbooth, but I don't really want to have to keep doing this.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance

Nothing is wrong.

Your mic is a mono mic - just as all commonly used microphones are.

Stereo recording is a unusual in film production. Sound stages are constructed is the edit.

Thanks for the quick reply. I wondered about it being a mono mic, and this has now been confirmed. But I still have the issue of the hum on the right channel... any ideas on this? I assumed that a mono mic would propogate the right and left channels with the same sound source and not favour the right over the left?

Thanks again...

Not sure - when you use adapters with XLRs odd things do happen. You could just not use that channel - I usually do that - tho i dont have noise on unused channel - just blank.

I hesitate to say more as i will just confuse things.

Thanks again - I'll keep searching for the answer!

Talk to a muso type maybe - they use lots of xlr gear.

Funnily enough I've just spoken to a muso type! He suggested that instead of using a stereo mini jack lead to connect the mic to the camera I use a mono jack one... will give it a try.