Thread: Sony Diaster

Default Sony Diaster

In truth, I don't think my problem is camera related (Sony DCR-HC85) but their technical support has been terrible!!! I am just a Dad that wants to record Band & Colorguard performances and provide the coaches with DVDs. Here is my problem: Video quality is great if played from camera direct to TV. Video quality is horrible after transfer to PC. It is ok if very small format but terrible full screen or when burned to DVD/VCD.
    I transfer via my firewire port and have tried every imaginable software capture setting in four different software packages (Picture Package, Image Mixer, Windows Movie Maker and ULEAD Video Studio .
    My PC is a Gateway P4 with 1 GB of RAM and plenty of disk space. My video display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce FX5200. I do not understand the relationship between my Firewire port, capture card, video card, display adapter, etc.
    My guess is that I need to upgrade a hardware component on my PC. Can anyone help me out here?
    Thank you,

ECH

Blog Entries

Are you saying that the quality is bad immediately after transfer, or only after encoding and burning to DVD?

First of all defrag the hardisk before capture.

Secondly, capture (via Firewire) in lossless DV-AVI format (your ULead software will be fine for this)

Thirdly set your Ulead project settings to Mpeg - DVD-NTSC and set the bit rate to Variable 8000Kbps (you will get about 60 mins to a DVD with this setting).

If you need a detailed walk through on the ULead settings please post back.

Good Luck

COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.