Thread: Premiere CS4 export fails (After Effects)

Default Premiere CS4 export fails (After Effects)

Hi all,

I've been meaning to sign up to a UK video forum for ages, but now I've got a problem that I can't solve, I thought it was about time.

I've just started using After Effects, and used it to create some nice title effects. I linked the compositions with the timeline on Premiere Pro CS4 (I'm guessing this is the normal way to do it) and now the export fails when it reaches the AE comps. Previously I was able to export the whole sequence as an PAL DV Widescreen file.

This is a repeatable problem, as I've tried several times, including only exporting portions of the timeline. Those without AE comps export fine, but I get an error when there's a comp in it:

- Source File: C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Temp\Clacton Aug 2009_11.prproj
    - Output File: J:\Clacton Tape 01_1.avi
    - Preset Used: PAL DV Widescreen
    - Video: 720x576, 25 [fps], Lower, Quality 100
    - Audio: 48000 Hz, Stereo, 16 bit
    - Bitrate:
    - Encoding Time: 00:19:08
    03/02/2010 21:47:17 : Encoding Failed
    -----------------------------------------
    Error compiling movie.

Unknown error.
    -----------------------------------------

Can anyone advise why this is happening? If I've omitted any crucial info, let me know!

Thanks

Jim

I think you'll find you can only render an After Effect project in Premiere if you have only used effects in AE that also exist in Premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    I think you'll find you can only render an After Effect project in Premiere if you have only used effects in AE that also exist in Premiere.
    Well, this is weird. I tried to export the movie tonight, and it worked fine, so I have no idea why it was throwing up the 'unknown' error. You can definitely render linked AE comps in Premiere even if the effects don't exist within Premiere - if you look at Task Manager, you can see After Effects running silently in the background when Media Encoder is running.

Anyway, another question - and please tell me if I should move this to a new thread - but I'm just about to start editing a new project and have footage from two cameras. One is a Sony HDV (which means 1,440x1,080 res with 1.33:1 aspect ratio pixels) while the second is an AVCHD camcorder which shoots at 1,920x,1,080 with square pixels.

I can drag the footage from both onto Premiere's timeline and it all seems to work ok (it's set up as an HDV project, but the playback window shows both types of footage at their correct aspect ratios) but is there any danger in not converting one set of footage to match the other?

Thanks again,

Jim

ah ok, you'll be using dynamic link then. thought you was importing one project into another. My bad.