Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propganda infomercial.

Default Propganda infomercial.

Right - context.

a few months ago my life was threatened by a bnp member. This is in the hands of the police and my witnesses have made statements.

This happened cos I have been making anti fascist vidsa for years - and the bnp have been trying very very hard to stop me.

This was posted as a news update on the yt page about this, and is my attempt at a fun infomercial sort of.

Some of you may recognize the conveniences from a vid i made a year or more ago as mw.

Edit:Withdrawn previous statement
    Last edited by zandebar; 02-02-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Can you read? This is video film makers forum - I am a bloody good film maker - you are lucky to have the benefit of my experience.

This thread is about the video i just made - not me. Please don't feel under any further obligation to enlighten me with your opinions - it isnt helpful or illustrative in aiding me to improve my work.

Many thinks.

I liked the idea at first but eventually it got confusing as I didn't know where to look for the next bit of information which meant I missed some of it. I like the look of it visually but the metal bars "looked" false. They were not superimposed well enough. The spacing of the text, especially in the top right section sometimes blended in with the bars which looked a bit lame.

I thought it was the perfect choice of font for the text.

Blog Entries

Funnily enough it had the opposite effect on me from Midnight. I was confused at the veru beginning but soon got the hang of it. Just one bit didn't seem to be on the screen long enough (the bit about Roger) before the next caption appeared (it was long enough to read, but I'd been distracted) other than that the timing was fine. As I knew I was lookiing for the text I didn't really have any problems with making it out.

I thought the film was a lot more powerful when watching than in retrospect - I'm sure a lot of people who'd fought hard to successfully remove some aspects of discriminatione before 1948 might feel a bit peeved, but nevertheless the idea worked well, particularly as it wasn't particularly obvious where it was leading.

Nice one.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Funnily enough it had the opposite effect on me from Midnight. I was confused at the very beginning but soon got the hang of it.
    Does that make me backward and you forward.

You know, watching more of your stuff, as the context becomes a bit clearer, I admire what you're doing. I think you were right when you said video isn't just for parties and all that; it can have a deeper meaning/purpose. And when you're doing serious, politically-motivated stuff like you are, the editing doesn't really matter, does it?

In fact, it makes me step back and look at editing, and I think that a lot of editing is just there to make something that isn't inherently interesting appear to be. If it were interesting on it's own, a single long, shaky take would do just as well. We'd be glued to the screen.

I wonder if your battle is worth it? I don't know, but if the BNP is just some minority group, it isn't like there's a great deal of likelihood they'll succeed with their campaign to take away people's rights. That would mean you're risking your life to stop something that isn't likely to happen anyway.

I think calling it a "propaganda infomercial" was pretty accurate. I don't know much about that genre, but after watching this my impression is "BNP are bad because they want to take away people's rights." At 1:20 you misspelled "Glad" as "Gald," I think. (English teacher..can't help it.)

Thanks all soo much for that.

One of my fav text books on documentary film making has a whole chapter on the passion of film making - you cant make a good film unless you are passionate about the subject.

My passion is doco and film that provokes tht and action. I have also made lots of stuff for pressure groups and activist groups. I want to be a thinner and less annoying m moore- lols.

I made that in a real hurry so most of the points mentioned are a reflection of this - but the text that was on too short was on purpose to make it ' more' noticable. well that was the theory.

The tiolet video I had and is clearly a wry comment.

The bars look like that after much fiddling with the look.

The type face is ' steel tongs ' and is the one thay use on dvd covers for the credits.

ta.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Does that make me backward and you forward.
    I don't know whether I'm coming or going.
    Tim

Good to see you back Mark. As acerbic and challenging as ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast