Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At Wits End - Render Saves Different Resolution

Default At Wits End - Render Saves Different Resolution

I did do a search and couldn't find this. I am willing to admit that I'm in a bad mood because of my problem which may have lead to me looking right past the answer if it has been posted. If that be the case, I sincerely apologize in advance. (The raw/basic questions are in bold, as well as anything I thought may be most relevant. Everything else is explanation and as much detail as I could think to include)

I recently got a Samsung HMX H100 camera, capable of filming in SD, HD 720 and HD 1080. I am wanting to get into the whole stock-footage market and therefore am practicing filming different things in different definitions.

I have 3 samples of footage shot in 720 that, when played as the raw MP4 file, do indeed show up large on the screen. The problem starts when I bring it into Sony Vegas 8. (This is the only program I have for video editing so I have to make it work).

Please take in mind that you all started somewhere and, smart and fluent in Vegas as you are now, even you had brain flatulence a time or two:

The requirements for a stock footage site I'm hoping to submit to, are:
    Footage must be at least 720x480 screen resolution and can be up to 1080 (1920x1080). It MUST be in MP4 or H.264 format.

No matter what settings I choose, using my noob logic, it will render it as no bigger than 320x240 and I can't figure out why. Is it how I'm starting the project? How I'm rendering it?

I've tried every (logical...[i.e. mentions 720x480 in name]) starting setting:
    File>New:

Templates: NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps), NTSC DV Widescreen (720x480, 29.970 fps), also tried NTSC DV 24p, yada yad yada...and even HDV 720 - 30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps)

The width and height are set to 720x480

What is the best setting to start out with?
    What about when I start trying to use 1080i?

I've rendered in the following settings: (I believe the rendering is where whatever the problem is, is starting. I say this because, in the preview window it says Project: 720x480x32, 29.970i)
    Rendered As:MainConcept AVC/AAC (*mp4)
    and
    Sony AVC (*mp4; *m2ts; *avc)
    I chose only these two to try because of the requirement that the files be submitted in MP4 format and these are the only two that mention MP4 in them.

I saw none that mentioned h.264 format.

What do I render as to keep the video in MP4 format and 720x480 resolution? What will I render as when working with 1080i footage?

I am only seeming to "freak out" about this because I'm on a very fixed income and am really hoping to start making some extra cash by doing this whole stock-footage thing....anything. I apologize for how wordy this post is, but I wanted to try and explain the problem and tried to include as much as possible.

Edited to add: If someone can tell me how to edit Windows Movie Maker under my name and change it to Sony Vegas 8, I'd appreciate it
    Last edited by CliffyTX; 02-01-2010 at 02:14 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm not at a Vegas workstation at the moment so can't answer until later. However, I think you should set your project settings to match your source footage and sort your intended output resolution within the render.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffyTX View Post
    Edited to add: If someone can tell me how to edit Windows Movie Maker under my name and change it to Sony Vegas 8, I'd appreciate it
    You can't. It's automatic and will change when you post more.
    Tim

I recently got a Samsung HMX H100 camera, capable of filming in SD, HD 720 and HD 1080. I am wanting to get into the whole stock-footage market and therefore am practicing filming different things in different definitions.

Sorry to speak out of turn; wouldn't you film it the highest resolution you need, then convert it down? Thats how I would have done it........?

Or is that not good practice or can this method be problematic?

Sorry can't help on the Sony Vegas; I would wait for Tim he's not Bob; am sure he can fix it (no pressure there Tim).

That's just it. I thought I was starting my project with the original footage. Again, the preview window did indeed say 720x480. In my original post, I listed all the settings I tried starting with as well as rendered with/as.

As for recording at highest possible, I was in a remote area and had to record on battery power alone. 720p was the highest I could record without running out of battery power while shooting.
    Last edited by CliffyTX; 02-01-2010 at 05:28 PM.

How do I select the right Project Template?

Open the properties box ALT+ENTER On the far right of where it says "Templates", there is folder icon, open that up.
    Navigate to the clip that you are unsure of the settings and highlight it & press open The properties box should now show you the correct settings for the file

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    How do I select the right Project Template?

Open the properties box ALT+ENTER On the far right of where it says "Templates", there is folder icon, open that up.
    Navigate to the clip that you are unsure of the settings and highlight it & press open The properties box should now show you the correct settings for the file
    Okay, just did what you said and it indeed showed the following:
    HDV 720 -30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps)

Now, apparently I just need to know how to render it. When I start to render in either MP4 format listed (MainConcept and Sony AVC both) as an option, it changes project to 320x240.

This is what's been making me tear my hair out.

What spec did the preferences say after they above info

Just checking...
    have you changed the parameters in the templates to the required sizes?

Blog Entries

Okay, just did what you said and it indeed showed the following:
    HDV 720 -30p (1280x720, 29.970 fps)
    As expected. The 720 as in 720i or 720p) refers to the number of pixels along the Y axis (or the number of horizontal lines, if you like)

Now, apparently I just need to know how to render it. When I start to render in either MP4 format listed (MainConcept and Sony AVC both) as an option, it changes project to 320x240.
    OK. The MainConcept MP4 and the Sony AVC MP4 actually use the H.264 codec so you're on the right track.

Once you've selected one of these, you'll need to select one of the templates already constructed or click the "Custom" button and create your own - in your case you'll need a custom size of 1280 x 720. There are different options between the Sony AVC and MainConcept AVC - a key one being that one uses constant bit rate and the other variable.

Now, I'm out of my depth once we get into this stuff (I don't "do" HD as yet) so I'm not going to attempt to pretend to know what settings you should be using.

But this should put you on the right track.
    Tim

One other thing is make sure your project setting tap option is set to Best.

Thanks to both of you. To answer your questions, I hadn't changed any templates. I chalk that up to not knowing enough about what I'm doing to go changing defaults for file types, etc. I thought surely there was a default template for 1280x720. Apparently I should never be paid for thinking.

Now, to decide which to use...the one with constant bit rate or the one with variable...and the requirements for the stock footage site I'm hoping to become a part of. I'm sure what you've just provided me with will finally solve my problem but I'm ill at the moment and need to get some rest. My next post will update my progress.

Again, thank you both very much for your help... (and continued help if I figure out some way to screw this up).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast