Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seeking guidance

Default seeking guidance

Greetings. I want to start a part time(to begin with) wedding and events business. I am trying to sort through mountains of info. and advice. I do not want to waste my money. My budget is 12,000 USD. This is what I am considering for the heart of my equipment. 2x Sony HVR-A1U......Adobe Production Premium......a built H.P. w/8 gig ram,Dual hard drive, NVIDIA, fierwire, usb, etc.....Will these cameras deliver what customers expect? Any transfer or editing issues?

Perth, Western Australia

I would be a little reluctant to recommend outdated gear if you have that much money to throw at gear!!! The A1 is a single CMOS chip camera and uses the older HDV format. The most worrying thing for weddings would be the single CMOS chip that will not perform very well in the low light conditions that you will find at weddings. A good example of this is the battle that wedding videographers have with Sony's HD-1000 and low light!!!

If you want a Sony (I use Panasonic out of preference) then I would go for a 3 chip camera most decidedly!!! You will struggle with a one chip camera!!!
    Standard wedding cameras in the Sony range nowdays seem to be the EX1 or with Panasonic, the HMC150.

Don't underestimate the need for decent pro-audio gear!!! You will need at least two decent wireless lav mics or something like the H2 Zoom DVR's and your camera really needs 2 x XLR inputs too. Then there is lighting to consider!! A decent on-cam LED light and some softboxes for the reception. You will also need a couple of really stable fluid head tripods too!!

I would decide on the computer only after deciding on the might find that moving to AVCHD cameras is worthwhile which will mean a QuadCore machine ..if you stay with the older HDV format then a DuoCore is fine!!

Default Thank you

Was becoming aware of the single chip issue, thanks for the affirmation. Did not know that they used an outdated format. Yes lav mics, tripods, extra batts. etc. I didnt include the entire list because I type like a monkey.(something else to learn) The sony cams are from BandH and with extra batts. tripod, case,light and 3 year warranty and a few other goodies they price out at 2900.00 each. I have no attachment to any brand at this point, I am looking for whatever delivers customer satisfaction, ease of use and viability for the next 5 years.Can I get a useable camera for this price? I am open to all experience and direction and thank you for taking the time to respond. Am lookig at the EX-1 and HMC150.
    Last edited by kissthesky; 02-01-2010 at 04:53 PM.

Perth, Western Australia

In the Sony range the EX1 seems to be the camera of choice but it will be out of your budget probably as will the HMC150!!!

Many wedding videographers still favour the Sony FX1000 ...a couple of good condition used ones might be an idea while you are starting out and you can replace them later as you get more jobs!!

Using HDV format for now also means that a DuoCore computer will handle the edit easily!! You WILL need to do some market research into whether clients will be expecting DVD or BD disks!!! Over here everyone has a big screen TV but BluRay players are very scarce so all my weddings are shot in HD and transcoded back to SD!!

Can you make films? If you are not a film maker forget it for now - go learn - then maybe.

Too many wedding vidders are con men.

Perth, Western Australia

Sorry I tend to disagree on the film-maker part!! Plenty of brides simply want their wedding documented and don't want any artistic creativity. That surely doesn't make documentary style wedding videographers con men at all!!

Before any bride hires you, they will look at samples of your work and judge accordingly. Con Men are so-called videographers who collect a large cash deposit from an unsuspecting bride, without any receipt or contract and the bride never sees them again.

Kiss the Sky?? create some nice samples and run a legitimate business with good customer service and you cannot go wrong!!

Don't worry about Vertovian (Mark) - He's from the dark side (bourneville).
    Very funny . . . But very provocative.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

If I were a conman I would be spending your money instead of mine. But I get the point of your post.......SO, this is where im at today. Basically there are 2 ways to go... Tape or solid state, mem. cards etc. The HDV format is easier to edit than AVCHD at this time. It is possible to convert AVCHD to PRO. RES. or CINEFORM format so that the project doesnt use as much processor power.Panasonic uses P2 cards w/ DVCPROHD or AVC INTRA100 formats.......I know from my audio experience that transferring data real time is frustrating.I need at least 8GB ram. I definitely need a GOOD 3chip or 3cmos camera w/low lux. So 1 camera with the proper support gear is what I can afford (SONY HDR-AX2000 for instance). I know 2 cameras are the recommended minimum, but im looking at a minimum 1 year period to train myself, keep my day job, and save for another camera. The future IS HD and BLU-RAY. Customer satisfaction=more customers=more gear. Thanks for the feedback. Any advice or experience are appreciated.

Perth, Western Australia

It took a lot of persuading for me to move from tape to SDHC card cameras but it was painless and most definately a lot easier to use!!

Panasonic AVCHD can be transcoded directly to SD-AVI files using their free Mainconcept transcoder and the results are excellent and also no computer upgrade is needed. This is what I use at the moment until clients start putting either BD or media players in their homes!!! The other AVCHD option that gives very good results is to transcode to HDV at 50 mps..VAAST have their software called UpShift that does a good job and the files can be handled with a DuoCore machine with 2 or 3GB ram whereas AVCHD native needs a QuadCore!!! UpShift will work on Panasonic, Sony and Canon AVCHD formats!!

HI Chris. Thanks for the lead on the gearshift. Great price. Are you familiar with this product?...... " Don’t settle for an HDMI and analog I/O card with messy cables when you can get all the features and more in a professional breakout box with Matrox MXO2 Mini. This sleek little device for Mac and PC also gives you the added advantage of portability. You can take it with you wherever you go. Use it with a laptop or a desktop system and your favorite applications including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and many more. Capture and playback high definition video via HDMI and analog component; or NTSC and PAL via analog component, S-Video, and composite. Convert your standard definition videos to high definition, or vice versa, while capturing or playing out, using Matrox MXO2 Mini’s high-quality dedicated hardware. Turn your HDMI screen into a professional-grade video monitor with Matrox’s unique color calibration tool. Easily edit AVCHD footage by capturing into an edit-friendly compressed or uncompressed format. Count on uncompromising Matrox quality and reliability in MXO2 Mini, backed by a three-year warranty."

Key features of Matrox MXO2 Mini
    • Works with Mac and PC, laptops and desktops
    • Small, lightweight, external box that's easily connected to cameras and monitors
    • Capture and playback high definition video via HDMI and analog component; or NTSC and PAL via analog component, S-Video, and composite
    • Turns an HDMI screen into a professional-grade video monitor with color calibration tools including blue-only
    • High-quality 10-bit hardware scaling engine for realtime upscaling, downscaling, and cross conversion on capture and playback (See Specifications for scaling features supported on Mac and PC)
    • Stereo RCA and up to 8 channels of HDMI audio input and output
    • 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound monitoring on the HDMI output
    • Easily edit AVCHD footage by capturing into an edit-friendly compressed or uncompressed format
    • Works with leading applications including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and many more
    • Also available with Matrox MAX for faster than realtime H.264 encoding
    • Three-year hardware warranty and complimentary telephone support
    $449.00 from video guys. They are selling this pretty hard. It seems to me that with a Quad Core,sufficient RAM,related I/Os, and gearshift installed I will get the same result, .......being able to convert AVCHD to a more useable format. Do I need this really? Will I Ever need it? Seems like more technology than I can use right now.

Also would appreciate your feedback on this.
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    <LI class=small>• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 quad-core processor [2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    <LI class=small>• 12GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [6 DIMMs]
    <LI class=small>• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
    <LI class=small>• 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4650 [DVI, HDMI, VGA]
    <LI class=small>• HP w2338h 23-inch 16:9 Full HD Widescreen Monitor
    <LI class=small>• Blu-ray writer & Lightscribe SuperMulti DVD burner
    <LI class=small>• 16x max. DVD ROM (player)
    <LI class=small>• Wireless-N LAN card
    <LI class=small>• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
    <LI class=small>• No TV Tuner
    <LI class=small>• Integrated 7.1 channel sound with front audio ports
    <LI class=small>• HP stereo speakers with subwoofer and remote 30W
    <LI class=small>• HP wireless keyboard and HP wireless optical mouse
    <LI class=small>• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
    <LI class=small>• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2010 - 15 month
    <LI class=small>• 4-year HP Care Pack House Call Service

This setup will be
    primo for my audio editing needs.I have decided on a Sony AX-2000 and related support gear. Again, thank you for your input and and time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast