Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a newbie trying something out.

Lightbulb a newbie trying something out.

Edit2: Sorry people, i should have posted this in the "User Video's" forum.
    please bear with my newness

Hi people!

I'm new here at the forum but i've been experimenting and trying different stuff with the limited equipment and experience i have, i'm trying to make a short-movie
    and I just did the intro for it, just for myself to test out the "feel" .
    The music is something i whipped up in Garageband and the video was edited using iMovie, for my personal taste, iMovie is a little bit too limited so i got myself final cut pro, but i can't really work with it YET so i'm still using iMovie.

So please take a look at it and give me some constructive critisism
    (by the way, I'm Belgian and English isn't my first language so excuse me if my spelling or grammar has some flaws)

Thx!

this is the intro btw:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIMUva5W5ZE"]YouTube - intro probeersel horror achtige kortfilm[/ame]

(I also don't know how to embed a video YET )

edit: apparently this forum does it automatically NICE :p
    Last edited by brandtflames; 01-31-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Oh, btw, i'm using a Panasonic HDC-SD100 camera, if anyone knows any good links or tips regarding this camera; Always welcome

And why the hell does it say "windows movie maker" under my nickname?
    Last edited by brandtflames; 01-31-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by brandtflames View Post

And why the hell does it say "windows movie maker" under my nickname?
    It's a rank of your newbieness. It'll change when you've made 5 (I think ) posts.
    Tim

Thx for the info i hope to become a regular and worthy member but what about the video?

Blog Entries

A good idea for a suspenseful opening. The music worked well with the piece and the little light glissando at the the end was just perfect.

Whilst it created suspense, it needed the titles to prevent boredon, but even so, unless you have enough to say (eg titles for the film, acting credits etc), I thought it was a tad too long.

If you're going to do a very slow tracking shot like that, every detail is highly visible. Therefore it really has to be VERY, VERY SMOOTH and even. This was a bit start/stop and even went back on itself at times.

Unless the body is of God or Jesus (or another chosen deity) the the word "He" should not be capitalized.

I didn't mind the titles appearing in different places but the "cannonball brains ..." hard top left seemed out of place.

It's a good experiment which I think will work well if you manage to reshoot more smoothly and reduce the length.
    Tim

i'm trying to work out how to do it more smoothly...
    right now I had put my cam on a piece of cardboard and attached a long piece of string to the cardboard and had my girlfriend try and pull it towards her as smoothly as possible (which is HELL because she's got adhd pretty fun though). I'm gonna try to make some kind of mobile platform using parts of hotweels cars, maybe that'll work better. thx for the comments! I'll see what i can do about it (oh and sorry for the blasphemy )

Blog Entries

I don't think it was blasphemy and it certainly wouldn't bother me if it was, I was just pointing out that if you make it "He" some people will read something into it which isn't intended.

For your smooth tracking shot, do you have access to a skateboard?

It may be worth experimenting with some sort of winder as well, I suspect that you'll get a smoother pull if you are moving your hand in a regular motion in a small area, rather than moving yourself or reaching with alternate hands to pull a cord.

Whilst solving this problem the other issue that you musn't overlook is you'll wan some means of ensuring it starts from stationary smoothly and similarly lows to a stop.

It's only when you start to make films that you realise how much work goes into this sort of stuff. Have you seen the "Making of" bits at the end of each episode of David Attenborough's "Life". The way they create shots using all that rigging (cables and pullies) is quite astounding.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It's only when you start to make films that you realise how much work goes into this sort of stuff.
    Oh how true that is!!!

yeah i know it's alot of work, but that's just what I love about it
    Usually I tend to watch more "making of's" than the movies or series themselves.
    also one of the reasons i'm on this forum is to see what others do and what others are experimenting with and learning new things.

Don't take this as sucking up or kissing ass for the forum, but I've been looking al over the web for usefull sites/forums and i must say this one sets the bar.

10. Default

In one of your captions... I believe you misspelled " passed" with past...perhaps it was intentional..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast