Thread: Is change really for the best?

Cool Is change really for the best?

Hi Ė not sure how this will come across as Iím new to Forums even though I have been videographing and editing wildlife vids in loadsa places worldwide and then sending round the heavily edited DVD-Rís to family and friends all over the world. So here goes
    I have happily used Panasonic camcorders for many years and now use the 3CCD NVGS400 with excellent results in AVI format which is relatively easy to edit and burn to DVD-R with excellent and sharp resolution. Now I want to integrate another camcorder of similar or better quality and ease of use to my pack. However marketing and technology seem to be trying to get me to change to MPEG4 format which is not so easy to edit and disastrous to burn to DVD to send round the world as in many places/countries suitable MPEG4 players to TV are not available etc. Additionally there seems to be a strong marketing/technology move from 3 CCD to CMOS or 3MOS and from what I have read CMOS is not as good as CCD although it is a cheaper chip. So to my questions for help/advice
    1- Does anybody have any recommendations for a good quality camcorder that will record in AVI? This could be recording to tape (Mini DV), card or a hard drive with additional expansion card. Price is not necessarily a consideration but weight may need to be considered. My NVGS400 is about 700grams fully loaded so is a good weight to hold steady
    2- Comments or advice ref 3CCD vs. CMOS or 3MOS welcomed
    3- I have tried to edit video in MPEG4 and then convert to AVI but this markedly lowers the resolution. Therefore if I am forced to go to MPEG4 I would welcome any thoughts/advice please about editing this easily and then burning a video with good resolution to DVD which can be viewed even on standard DVD players in most places in the world

2. Default

I like sony or cannon product sure they have something for your requirement.
    for your reference: HDR-XR550V | 240GB HD Handycamģ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

I hope it helps (dont know if link will work in this forum)

Blog Entries

Hi Oldiehuck and welcome.

You are currently experiencing the problem caused by the triumph of marketing over technology. You are absolutely right to ask the question with which you headed this thread.

Let's clear up one thing first of all. AVI is the whole story. What you have been used to editing and what is captured by all MiniDV cameras is video using the SDDV (Standard Definition Digital Video) codec in either PAL or NTSC. This is nice and easy to edit onlesser powered PCs because whilst it is compressed, it s only compressed within the frame (intraframe compression). Other formats use interfarme compression in addition (ie they nor differenced between one frame and the next) which gives a much higher compression ratio but require more power to edit.

AVI files are also used for DivX and Xvid codecs among others and these are definitely NOT best suited for editing.

Your NV-GS400 was a classic. I have one myself, bought a yesr or so ago on eBay as they are no longer made. The model that superseeded it, the NV-GS500, was actually inferior in that it had fewer manual functions accessible with physical buttons.

If you want the same format for editing & enabling you to distribute your results on DVD (OK lets be blunt- assuming you do not want to jump onto the Hig Def bandwagon) then there are still MiniDV Standard Def cameras around. The most similar (though arguably superior) are the Canon XM2 and the Sony EX2100. Both are long established models with a great reputation. Though they are both more costly than the GS400 was when new.

GS400s come up regularly on eBay and go for around £400.
    Tim

Romain proverb I am probably mangling...

" The secret of contentment is wanting what you have not getting what you want. "

I shoot on DV still - very good dv but ordinary old ' crap' SD DV.

Why? Well why not?

Only 20% of people have a HaichDEE TeeVee, DV is dream to edit on, YT is NOT HD whatever they say, if the odd apying customer asks if it is HD I just lie, blue ray media is too expensive, no one cares, why should I ?

That is a great camera - if you are happy with it why change ?

Sod peer pressure and that gotta have a new thing, thing.

I and perfect world i would shoot with some pro HD camera - I am poor - the camera is not the most important part of the creative chain - you are.

But note I do enjoy the new and the ' better ' but it just isnt always better all the time - and sometimes it's worse.

(my context here is that I am sick of the rat race and poor and very happy to be that way )
    Last edited by vertovian; 02-08-2010 at 01:19 PM.

Hi Tim - many thanks for your heartfelt thoughts and yes I am very happy with my NVGS400 but Murphy's Law(Murphy says Sod was/is an optomist!) says that it will stop being nice when I get to an outstanding scene I really want to video. So sadly I am thinking ahead to that day . Yes I had also heard that about the 500 model but as I heard it that model was produced for a specific company to sell at a lower price so you got what you paid for I guess.
    Thanx also for pointing me to the Canon and Sony miniDV camcorders and I will bear these in mind when having to make a choice - but I stll believe that Panasonic have thought thru their camera specs more than other companies who's products I have tried
    Oh well I guess that time will tell..................OldieHUck

Hi Vertovian. Also many thanks for your ego (your claim) busting reply and like you I ain't rich but I do like videoing instead of still fotos - videos says it all if you get the editing right
    Thanx again and keep videoing...........OldieHuck

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiehuck View Post
    Thanx also for pointing me to the Canon and Sony miniDV camcorders and I will bear these in mind when having to make a choice - but I stll believe that Panasonic have thought thru their camera specs more than other companies who's products I have tried
    That's as maybe but you asked:

1- Does anybody have any recommendations for a good quality camcorder that will record in AVI?

And Panasonic, as far as I can tell from their website, no longer makes anything that does that!
    Tim

How right you are to remind me of that because I also wrote to Panasonic last week for info about any such camcorder in their range as I had failed to identify one. While they are normally quick with their replies - 7 days later it is just total silence.
    OH well iot's back to the drawing board and I just wonder if Panasonice evr look at forums such as this??? - !!!
    Keep videoing.................OldieHuck