Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: budget monnitors

Default budget audio reference monitors (speakers)

Can anyone recommend a pair of budget audio monitors ? my main PC is now used for music creation as well as video editing so, good audio monitoring is important.

At the moment i use a logitech Z4 2.1 speaker system which is excellent for general PC use but not very accurate for music monitoring.

did i mention im on a strict budget
    Last edited by enc; 03-22-2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: err

Screen size and Budget range PLS

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    Screen size and Budget range PLS
    hmm, maybe i should have said audio monitors as in reference speakers

under 100 would be good

someone suggested these ......

EDIROL CAKEWALK MA-7A STEREO 7W MONITORS: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo
    Last edited by enc; 01-29-2010 at 04:08 PM.

OOooops sorry, Am usless at sound!!

Thing is, if you are going to be doing any critical monitoring of music, you will need to be spending a fair old whack to get anything remotely accurate.Yes those Edirol thingies are probably a step up from your PC speakers, but probably not so much. They won't be accurate, and they will be getting hyped bass (for the cab size) from the front ports which if not done right can really cause problems in judging the bass levels in your mix

On most studio/music forums when this question is asked, the generally accepted answer is - get some headphones, you can pick up some Sennheisers, or AKGs or something of that ilk within (or just over) your budget and they will cream any speakers in the same price range - get open backed models.

If you had asked this question last week I could have pointed you at an auction ITV where having, they had half a dozen good pairs of monitor speakers. Which would have been a great chance to get the kind of thing your after at a really good price.

Like Mark said I would go for a good pair of cans at your price range. I can recommend Beyer DT931. I use these for my audio monitoring. I can't usually play things loud because of the family. I have found it's a good idea to also play things through speakers to get a feel of the music at volume.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Interesting comments M1M and Midnight. Totally at odds with what I was lead to understand in the days when I was seriously into music (25-30 years ago), but then things have moved on a little. And I do understand that this is for monitoring on a budget rather than monitoring in a studio.

Question: Do you guys just plug your cans into the PC soundcard or are you taking an optical audio out and putting it through an outboard amp/processor?

OK I guess that's really a question for Midnight as I'm sure M1M does the latter.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I can recommend Beyer DT931.
    No longer manufactured
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkOneMusic View Post
    get open backed models.
    Open backed for monitoring whilst editing, but closed back/in-ear for monitoring when filming?
    Tim

Bummer, I'm showing my age again !

I just plug them into the headphone socket of my 2:1 computer speakers.

I remember listening to an interview of a music producer who would always make a tape and play it in the car before he was happy that the sound would be right for the way most people listend to music back then. You could take that kind of thing to far and I think in this day and age the technology surrounding sound has advanced so far Beyond what we had to deal with when we were in our youth.

So I think this side of things is not so crucial these days. Most recording now a days is digital which is really taking away a lot of the reason for needing careful monitoring like the old days.

There is nothing like listening to music through a great pair of speakers though.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 01-31-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast