Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2010: Hello, just introducing myself with the last vid I made

Default January 2010: Hello, just introducing myself with the last vid I made

Hello, I haven't posted here since I registered so thought I'd re-introduce myself with a video.

Here's my first go at making a music video that was planned and storyboarded. Lighting isn't great as I was using a lamp I got from B&Q and there's a few shots that are poorly lit.

Be as negative or as positive as you like in reply, cheers:

Mark Handley & the Bone Idols - Testing Testing One Two Video by Robert Kelly - MySpace Video@@AMEPARAM@@http://mediaservices.myspace.com/Services/Media/Embed.aspx/m=102486158@@AMEPARAM@@mediaservices@@AMEPARAM@@my space@@AMEPARAM@@Services/Media/Embed@@AMEPARAM@@aspx/m@@AMEPARAM@@102486158
    Last edited by RobertK; 01-31-2010 at 10:20 PM. Reason: video did not embed

Hi Robert thank for posting this video. Fist of all I liked it. It has it's little "issues" but I liked it.

You already know about the lighting. I use work lights at the moment to but you should try some thing with them more than sticking them in front of the talent so you can see them better. Lighting should be use to create the mood of the video, try back lighting etc... to help with this. Having said that your lighting does work for the garden shed scenes in this video.

The scene where the two ladies are watching TV. First the TV is below the window then the ladies are below the same window people notice this sort of thing and can break the magic of the storyline.

You must have been sticking out of the sun roof of the Triumph Herald to get that first car driving shot, lol hence it was a bit wobbly.

I'll leave it at that so others can comment on the editing etc.

It's nice to see a piece that has had some thought put into it I would think it's tricky to move from a documentry style filming to a music video. I'm sure you have learned a lot doing it.

Once again, I really did like it.

What a great little video!!
    Really like this Robert.
    Its been really well thought out and has a unique feel to it.
    The light for the interior studio shots may have been better deployed by being bounced off a reflector or a white surface to minimize the harsh shadow. Aperture would have had to be increased by a stop or two stops which would have resulted in focusing being a bit more critical with a shallower depth of field but might of added something. (Just a thought.)
    A fill light or reflector on the 2 ladies faces might have made that shot a little less of a silhouette.
    The first image on the mobile phone would have been easier to see if perhaps trees partially masked the sky avoiding the contrast glare, or perhaps it could have been shot indoors.
    The hippy in the car tapping to the music might have been synced a little better.
    As I say a good video, well worth a watch.
    (Just my sixpenneth for what its worth.)

another thumbs up from me robert.

Blog Entries

Strangely I rather liked the harsh lighting of Mark. It seemed appropriate that a geek/muso/obsessive might well have only one fairly strong light in his "den". I know I have!
    Apart from the comments above, with which I agree, I noticed among a very good mixture of shots a couple of dodgy ones:
    1:22 too much head room
    2:35 the guy should not end up in the half of the frame into which he's walking - there should always be more space in front of than behind (unless the talent actually walks out of the frame)

I think Midnight is wrong about the curtains. Upon examination it appears that there is a windows sill behind curtains behind the sofa, but the windows are fulkl length behind the TV. However his point is well made - it LOOKS the same and it threw me on first viewing (before I'd read any other comments).

But all of this is trivial. The video (and song) was original, with humour and a bit of social commentary and kept me watching to the end. Very enjoyable.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I think Midnight is wrong about the curtains. Upon examination it appears that there is a windows sill behind curtains behind the sofa, but the windows are fulkl length behind the TV.
    I bet that's made your day. lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I bet that's made your day. lol
    Indeed. If I can't find a fault in one of your films, I'll find a mistake in something you say.

Just kidding. My first reaction was the same as yours. I didn't believe it though because it seemed to me that moving all the furniture around like that would take effort and if you were going to make that much effort, you'd at least make sure the backgrounds were different..... Or would you? Wristwatches in Ben Hur spring to mind.
    Tim

Well as everyone has had their say at what should be improved but all I want to add is that mate is the best music video I have seen in a long time. It has a great story that unfolds at a nice pace. The track is very catchy indeed. Be proud of that, very proud indeed.

I think I will watch it again now.

Thanks so much to you all for taking the time to have a look at the video. It was also very pleasing to read the comments and the constructive advice.

I was aware of the lighting issue, a three light setup and a good read of a cinematography book is something I'll look into for the future.

The curtains: Ack, I didn't think of that at the time! It is actually two different sets, but you are quite right Midnight Blue, next time I'll be aware of creating a distinct front and back to any similar locations.

solway and TimStannard: cheers, good points to note with the shots.

Cheers enc. And I'm walking on air after reading Shrimpfarmer's comment!

10. Default

Yes we really enjoyed that too.
    We weren't sure we'd stay the course when it started, a geeky nerd in a pullover surrounded by all his gear didnt look promising. How wrong we were!
    Charming & simple & very sort of British. It just unfolded at a leisurely pace & didnt use shock tactics or flashing lights to grab our attention.
    We're currently bogged down with making our 2nd music video & watching yours we can see why: we're trying to do too much to get people's attention & making it too complicated.
    Well done.

Sarah & Allison & Tina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast