Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Out...

1. Default Starting Out...

I have just started my own video production company.

I have a logo, website, and all the equipment.

Trouble is... I don't have a portfolio, and I'm not getting any bookings because of this. I would be willing to do the first few weddings for free or half-price to build-up my portfolio, and have advertised in local papers... but to no avail.

No family members or friends are getting married in the near future either. It's the classic catch-22 situation. I don't want to take a table at a wedding fayre because I would prefer to go to one when I have a portfolio! All I need is one wedding to put together a kick-ass promo...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Have you ever seen the movie "Wedding Crashers". Give you an idea ?

Hi - Have you filmed anything at all?
    If you have or haven't, everyone has to start somewhere.
    Ask a video company that's not on your doorstep if you can help out on their crew at a wedding.
    Be honest and make it plain that besides helping out with their shoot, you are looking to use a few clips for a promo for yourself.

Believe me, you certainly wont make a kick ass promo for quite a few years, though many have tried to convince others as naive as themselves on video forums that they have just invented the wheel.
    Try not to watch other webclips and parrot their style, but use your imagination to think of original opening and closing sequences.

The main filming of bulk of the most successful wedding DVDs usually consists of excellently framed and exposed footage with good continuity, crisp audio and editing so good you still get goose pimples yourself after watching it 20 times in the edit.
    Make something bridal clients will enjoy and you will have a successful business on your hands.
    Make something the local skateboard club enjoys and you'll earn more flipping burgers.
    Good luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

If you're happy to do a couple for completely free - try regsitering and posting on Hitched - Wedding Planning - wedding planning discussion forums

Ian

Default We need a wedding videographer

Are you still looking for weddings to video for free? We would love to have a video of our daughters wedding but don't have the budget for it. The wedding is on 30th December 2010 in Basingstoke, Hampshire. Are you interested, can you help us?
    Chris

Another Idea is in the summer as there are wedding fairs, attend those Also a line yourself with a photographer who doesn't offer this service. And see if they would be prepared to offer your services. As an ex photographer I see now harm in this, and would be a bonus for the client.

They have to understand that your in a learning curve, and if they like the video, they could donate something for your time. Make it informal, if they donate then its a good indicator that they like your work. Also give them a feedback sheet so they can comment on the video and explain that the reason for the offer, as your fine tunning your skills.

All the best

I'd be very wary of offering to do any work for free.
    It's a sign of desperation and devalues not only the industry, but every little bit of pride you may have in your work.
    Who in their right mind offers to do at least 5 days labour, no matter how badly done, for nothing. Even the gulag slaves got fed and watered for their efforts.
    Would you offer to do a free weeks work for a prospective new employer? Maybe the answers yes, if you were desperate.
    But then . . . the employer says, there's only the one weeks work. it's over. Doh!

At least put a small price on your initiation and limited skill levels, even if it's only the hire costs of your equipment, which anyone, even on a very tight budget can understand, are your out of pocket costs.

Ok, It may seem like foot in the door and your starter for 10, but it's a very long haul up from absolute zero and once word gets round, as it will, that you work for peanuts, you'll be out of business before you've hit profit.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

I understand your view point and to some degree I agree with you.

I am an honest person; and I would feel awful to charge someone for a product that is totally unwatchable if that was the case.

So what would be a good alternative, thinking you can do a good product is one thing.Been able to deliver a good product is another.

the OP clearly has no real experience in this area, otherwise he would have samples.....

What would you advise him to be the best approach Zero, since your a seasoned pro.
    What would be fair ?
    Last edited by zandebar; 02-15-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by griffinmill View Post
    I have just started my own video production company.

I have a logo, website, and all the equipment.

Trouble is... I don't have a portfolio, and I'm not getting any bookings because of this. I would be willing to do the first few weddings for free or half-price to build-up my portfolio, and have advertised in local papers... but to no avail.

No family members or friends are getting married in the near future either. It's the classic catch-22 situation. I don't want to take a table at a wedding fayre because I would prefer to go to one when I have a portfolio! All I need is one wedding to put together a kick-ass promo...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris
    Hi

I am not sure you recieved the private message I sent yesterday as I had only just registered with the site. We are getting married on 4 September 2010 and it will be a church wedding with a marquee reception. It's in a lovely setting and think it could be complementary to your portfolio. The wedding will be in Wiltshire near Salisbury. Would this be a good location for you?

We would appreciate you're new to this.

Can you let me know if you're interested or not so we know whether to continue looking.

Perhaps send me a private message and then I can call you to discuss further.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kate

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    I understand your view point and to some degree I agree with you.

I am an honest person; and I would feel awful to charge someone for a product that is totally unwatchable if that was the case.

So what would be a good alternative, thinking you can do a good product is one thing.Been able to deliver a good product is another.

the OP clearly has no real experience in this area, otherwise he would have samples.....

What would you advise him to be the best approach Zero, since your a seasoned pro.
    What would be fair ?
    The whole world is unfair - and no-one should expect a free ride.

It's unlikely the OP has even revisited his posting but reading his opening post he sounds enthusiastic and very positive about video.
    He may not have wedding filming experience, but hopefully he's filmed something that's been edited with flair and started to develop a style.

My very 1st wedding video was achieved by setting up at a wedding fair using just edited stills, with music and captions, as I too hadn't filmed any weddings - unbelievable eh!
    The client liked us and our editing style and we charged them a modest 300
    (14years ago).
    I was determined and passionate about making great wedding videos and I'm pretty sure all clients can recognise the difference between someone who wants the quick buck and someone who's determined to make their chosen career a success, but also need to pay the bills in the meantime.
    Be honest! But more importantly be honest with yourself.
    If you think you can cut it - go for it. If you can't - pull out.
    But don't give it away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast