Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 64bit ?

Default Windows 7 64bit ?

I am deciding which way to go for my next editing rig. I have to confess I know bugger all about 64 bit v 32 bit. These guys here seem to bang on about 64 bit being best now. Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' DIY7.7: Intel Core i7 with Vista 64 AND Now Windows 7

I will be updating my software to CS4 Production Premium. My understanding is that it can take advantage of 64 bit, but they are not 64 bit applications as yet. One worry I have is that I see a number of posts where people complain that various bits of kit just don't work due to a lack of drivers. The machine will be a pure editing rig so as long as CS4 operates ok I will be happy.

Any thoughts on things to keep in mind will be appreciated.

Hi Shrimpy;

I must say that Windows 7 is the way forward; I never liked Vista too clunky.

Saying that though I am a big supporter of this Windows 7 OS. However you mentioned 32bit Vs 64bit. I personally have the 64bit proffessional version. The 64bit is backwards compatible, which means you can run 32bit applications, there's not much price different too.

However I would hold off if you can, for the first service pack release of Windows 7

Get some of the bugs fixed first unless your happy been in there from the start.

The main golden rule when choosing a new OS is wait for the first Service Pack release.

Hope that anwers your question.

All the best
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-28-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Yes but how long is SP1 away? I have promised my current system to my nephew so I can't really wait too long. I would like to complete the exchange within one month max.

I have asked for a quote for a local company to make the system in the article for me. I have yet to hear from them. I should really summon up the courage to build it myself but I have never built a system from scratch before. I have installed cards and hard drives, and windows XP many times but thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    I am deciding which way to go for my next editing rig. I have to confess I know bugger all about 64 bit v 32 bit....

Any thoughts on things to keep in mind will be appreciated.
    Well, a few months back I asked the folks who built my DreamStation (Intel Core 2 quad) editing system about replacing my Vegas Pro 8 (32 bit system) with the 64 bit version and converting the terminal to Windows XP 64 bit. I was advised that, although my machine would convert, it would not be a wise move as some of my components may no longer work properly, and that none of my 32 bit software would be usable. Since I have a considerable investment in 32 bit support software, I decided to defer changing, at this time.

I suppose that if you purchase a 64 bit system, and load it with 64 bit versions of software, that it should do fine. As for Windows 7, I want to wait and see reports on how it is doing. Fortunately, I never updated to Vista (I've stayed with Windows XP). My wife, however, had to buy a new computer and it came with Vista. She hates it; calls it the "software from hell!"

My advice is...proceed with due caution.

Worddigger; tell me what sofware you use and i'll test it on my system.

Problem is drivers, even though you have application support you may not have drivers for your hardware. Plus the OS is new and drivers take time to write, even though its a vista MARK II really, who are they trying to kid.

I run 32bit apps no problem on 64bit, it also has, as did vista Run software like XP, 98, Win MS Etc. enviroment. Its A backwards compatiblilty thing. lol we had the same debate when we went from 16bit to 32bit, oh those where the days....

I can really see the effort in Win7, shame it wasn't there before.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-28-2010 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    I can really see the effort in Win7, shame it wasn't there before.
    For true! Windows Vista ranks right up there with other Microsoft dogs like Windows Millennium and DOS 4.01 which were a PITA!

I appreciate the offer to test the softwares, but I am content to stay where I am, right now. I just made a major equipment (camera system) investment and I am not in the financial position to make the leap to 64 bits. My present 32 bit system is serving me well, for the moment. Thanks.

And, as you say, I'm going to wait until after the first Windows 7 SP release before I even think of upgrading the operating system.

Be reminded of the RAM limitations in 32bit.
    I suspect future video editing software will offer 64bit versions.
    Whilst the apps I use are all 32bit, I run alot of them simultaneously in my Vista64 8Gb.
    However, all is not perfect. Some of my old hardware is now redundant as those manufacturers have not released suitable 64bit drivers.

Blog Entries

Absolutely no reason not to go with 64bit now. If it's new kit the drivers are available. And if you were using Vegas, well a 64 bit version has been available for 18 months or so.
    And if you're worried, well you always run 32 bit apps on it anyway.

And if you really need an older OS for some software which doesn't conform to standards, you can run it in a virtual 32 bit XP environment - if you buy Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, that is.

Usual rules about waiting for a service pack do NOT apply. Whilst it may look and feel different, the core of this OS is Windows Vista. So it is alsmost Windows Vista SP2.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Yes but how long is SP1 away? I have promised my current system to my nephew so I can't really wait too long. I would like to complete the exchange within one month max.

I have asked for a quote for a local company to make the system in the article for me. I have yet to hear from them. I should really summon up the courage to build it myself but I have never built a system from scratch before. I have installed cards and hard drives, and windows XP many times but thats all.

LOL; If you have never built a PC before, I wouldn't try building it with your pride and joy parts.

When I was doing this for a living; some of the machines I saw which people have built themselves. Where terrible; its the attention to detail, using wrongs size risers for the back plate, where the motherboard sits is one example. I saw a local competitor machine, one that he built and sold. I was horrified at the build quality, I wouldn't let a machine go out like that.
    The motherboard was slightly warp due to wrong size raisers; wiring locations where ere a mess. Not a tidy machine, plus other little bits that well made it a machine from hell basically.

Even I won't build machines for people anymore, well maybe for friends and family. Just that once you have built it, you have to support it for the warranty period. Parts do fail, and don't know if its me but I always felt that it was a reflection on me not the part manufacturer. At least when this happened, I was in the wrong, it was my fault and I was a poor system builder. Nothing to do with the fact that the customer wanted the cheapest PC possible.

Budget machines are very problematic, as they use cheap parts and are often not tested well at the factory. I was discussing this very thing with a tech friend yesterday, how to get a problem free PC (hardware wise), I narrowed it down to luck and probability. My best advice when choosing PC components is stick to well know brands. They tend to test parts well and as a result tend to be more reliable. Electronic components have a mean time to failure rate, and the build has a lot to do with this at the factory. The factory may test for two hours but if that component is going to fail at 2 hours an 5 min then this won't be caught in the factory and will end up been a returned product.

All I can say Shrimpy; is find a good well known system builder who will give you support and advice even after the build. That they don't look too tin pot, your an ex copper am sure your instincts will be right. This is so hard; I know a electronics guy who's shop is a tip, bit of an Alladdins cave. Who you wouldn't expect to be great at customer service and very good at his job. He's the type who is not money motivated, and just loves what he does, this day an age that is so rare, what are we breading these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Absolutely no reason not to go with 64bit now. If it's new kit the drivers are available.

Usual rules about waiting for a service pack do NOT apply. Whilst it may look and feel different, the core of this OS is Windows Vista. So it is almost Windows Vista SP2.
    I also agree with Tim; that theres no reason not to go with Windows 7, as you always have the updates. I have not had a problem with Windows 7, personally I like it alot. Drivers for mainstream components are very good. Problems come if you have industry specific hardware, or hardware made by small companies. As they have to make the drivers and MS have a strict driver submission policy.

Am sure you were meant to say SP3 Tim or is it SP2.1 lol The bar stewards made us pay for it again lolol Well not me I never liked Vista; or do I because I like the one wearing the mustache! lol {rolling eyes}

You'll be fine with Windows 7 Shimpy; the reason why I said wait for the SP realease is that most people feel secure with this version, it has always been a golden rule to wait.

Saying that though Tim; they didn't do much to the core of 98, ME which was the 95 core and look at those. All they did was work around it and dressed it up. I think its a question of time which will tell, even though quite rightly its Vista under the hood, and you shouldn't worry about upgrading to Win7.

I think its Microsoft first proper OS.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-29-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Yep, buying a good PC is not as easy as it seems. I bought my current system from a place called Chillblast and I have been very pleased with it and their support. I emailed them the spec for what I want and they didn't even bother to reply, so they are out.

My only option at the moment is this local firm who I have dealt with before. I can't say I have a close relationship with them but at least they are on my doorstep if things go wrong. They have been around for a few years as well.

I have not had a quote back from them yet, but at least they acknowledged my email and said they would look into it.

In the meantime my little nephew continues to get excited about having my old system. No pressure to change then

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast