Thread: Title sequence for YouTube sereis

Default Title sequence for YouTube sereis

I made this title sequence for a YouTube series a friend of mine is making.

I wasn't sure what to expect, this being the first title sequence that I’ve made,
    and I found it harder than I thought it would be to make. Overall, however, I'm fairly pleased with the result. I’ve not received any critique though, and would like to hear what should have been done differently.

A few little things I was wondering about are…

Do you think it would’ve worked with some swooshy type sound effects, or would that have been distracting?

Have I varied the effects enough to prevent it from being repetitive, or is there too much variation and it clashes?

There are little design twists for each character. Dan the Cyborg’s section, for example, is a bit digital-looking with pixilation. Should I have made the ‘styles’ more pronounced and clear, or less so?

Thanks.

Blog Entries

Whilst I'd normally criticise loads of different effects, here I thought it was appropriate.
    My first reaction was it's too busy and the titles aren't really held for long enough to read (at least if one's attempting to take in everything else as well). I seemed too busy

BUT

If it's going to appear as a title sequence which will be seen time and time again, I think this may be fine - after all, who can take in the title sequence of "The Big Bang Theory" in one go?

I don't thinks swooshes would be distracting, in fact they might help draw attention to a new title appearing.

The "design twists" as you put it are subtle, but I think again that this is something which will become more obvious to the viewer each time they watch - call it a reward for sticking with the series. So, no, don't make them more obvious. And less so would be tooo subtle (I watched it three times through, knowing they were there and still missed some, I'm sure)

Watch out for your titling. Capitalising "As" in "As Dan the Cyborg" is not only grammatically incorrect (given that it's the second part of the sentence) but is distracting as it gives equal emphasis to the word "as" as to the characters name. So, lower case "as" and probably in a smaller font.

Also consider moving the word "as" to after the actors name ("Billy Treacy as ...") as this will create a sense of anticipation. Interestingly, I thin this would alsohave the effect of making the characters name the important bit, rather than the actors name. Funny the effect movig one word can have.

The thing that lets this down the most is the youth of the actors - it makes it look like a kid's TV programme. It's a shame, but that's what you have to work with. At least you can look forward to your peers being of a more appropriate age in the future. The talent I have to work with is at the opposite end of the scale - we're never going to look the right age for this sort of movie
    Tim

Tim knows what he's talking about (usually)

I thought it was appropriate for what the subject seemed to be.

How did you get the flying shot at 3 seconds. Was it yours or was it "borrowed".

So if you slow down the text a bit so they are more easily read and follow what Tim said that would improve it.

I thought it was very well done.

Yep I enjoyed it to and it made me check your youtube channel which is always a good sign.

Lots of good stuff on your channel

How common is it to see characters' names in the opening titles?

I saw many names, but could not recall which were real; and those of a character. Could it be done by showing both names simultaneously? But with less empahasis on the character's name.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    How common is it to see characters' names in the opening titles?
    I seem to recall a lot of US TV drama serials in th 80s did this...
    ... and unfortunately the 80s is "in" at the moment.
    Tim

Thanks very much for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Watch out for your titling. Capitalising "As" in "As Dan the Cyborg" is not only grammatically incorrect (given that it's the second part of the sentence) but is distracting as it gives equal emphasis to the word "as" as to the characters name. So, lower case "as" and probably in a smaller font.

Ah, good point there. The reason why I capitalised 'as', though, was because it looked visually more pleasing. At least, to me anyway. I must take more care to be grammatically correct in the future though, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    The thing that lets this down the most is the youth of the actors - it makes it look like a kid's TV programme. It's a shame, but that's what you have to work with. At least you can look forward to your peers being of a more appropriate age in the future. The talent I have to work with is at the opposite end of the scale - we're never going to look the right age for this sort of movie

Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    How did you get the flying shot at 3 seconds. Was it yours or was it "borrowed".

The aerial shot from a plane? That was some stock footage that a friend let me use, which I sped up.

Thanks again for your comments, everyone.

Well, I don't too much, but i liked it