Thread: The Emerald Dagger Part 2

Default The Emerald Dagger Part 2

2nd instalment. I have learnt a huge amount from doing this video and its been very enjoyable.
    Part 1 is available either from my youtube channel or my previous post on this forum.

Great stuff Shrimpy, I am genuinely interested in the story, so the pace and script must be just right. I loved the shallow dof when your telling Mrs Shrimpy to water the camels.

Only fault I picked up on was the change in colour of the soldier. Other than that is was excellent.

Thanks for that. I am pleased that you noticed the DOf stuff. Yep the colour on the soldier was a problem. I am still learning how to match different shots.

very enjoyable, loving the subtle detail like the gradual darkening/lighting of lord shrimpmaster as he enters/leaves the tent, extra reverb as the bird sweeps over the temple etc etc. while i appreciate the animation must take a while... IMO the episode could do with being a little longer.

hope we dont have to wait as long for the next installment

Blog Entries

It goes from strength to strength.
    Agree with the attention to detail comment - my personal favourite was the moving clouds.

As this progresses we start to see stuff which works and that which doesn't work so well. Whilst I can see you've taken great care to get the characters increasing/decreasing in size as they move nearer / further from the camera (ie keeping them in scale with their position within the still), I'm beginning to think that perhaps you should aim to keep movement where we see their feet to a minimum. The "sliding" around looks more unnatural over the rougher surfaces. I'd suggest wherever possible keep them moving whilst their lower bodies are behind something (this could even be a simple as layering a "strip" of sand (if they're on sand) over their feet. Worth considering?
    Tim

Thanks guys, appreciated. Your right about the walking, thats why there are rocks in front of the camel at the start of the film. I will endeavour to mask them wherever I can in future without it becoming a trade mark. Now that I have got my editing and shooting books I am going to use the animation process to practice the recommended techniques.

As for length, well I am going to aim for 2 minutes per episode unless the particular episode needs more to conclude the chapter. I may call it simple animation but it takes ages to do it at the moment, but much of that time is taken in preping the character images. They have gone through a number of iterations and I am finally happy with how best to capture them.

My nephew has produced his first film, an animation made with cups. Its great to have a shared interest with him.