Thread: Question about how video image look

Default Question about how video image look

So, I've been wondering this. I've noticed how the videos taken with some portable digital video cameras, including my flip video camera, display the video with some characteristics that won't give you the look of a movie at all. I don't know how to explain it, but I guess is the colors that give this mood to the image.

For example, look at this two images

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2003...amurai_002.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/607410_f520.jpg

Whether the second image was part of a video or not, and besides the fact it needs white balance correction, plus is a city shot, you can see right away the difference in the image.

So if you were to try to achieve something like the first picture, what type of adjustments, and filters would you guys use at the time of editing the video?
    GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition
    GoPro Hero

• Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM
    with Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X / 2GB GDDR5 memory
    • Avid Media Composer v8.3
    • Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

The Film look this has been discussed many times there is even a stick HERE about it. The main thing to realise is the way light affects film compared to how a CCD on a digital camera reacts. I saw a video that explained it very well once but that was a while ago so the details are a bit vague. Basically you get a better contrast ratio with film than Digi Cam. So there is more detail in the blacks with film etc....and colours are "different" There are cameras on the market now that try to emulate this such as the Panasonic HVX200, which just happens to be the camera I have. I chose it for this specific reason. It has two main settings which it calls Video and Film mode. It tries to electronically emulate the way cellulose film reacts to light.

There are other issue to consider as well such as frame rate. Film is always shot at 24fps unless they are shooting slow mo or super fast time laps this is supposed to also give you the "film look". Film is always progressive video is sometimes interlaced.

The other thing to remember is there are so many different "film looks" especially when it comes to colour (color) eg the matrix has a green tint whenever they are in the matrix but normal white balance when they are in the real world. What I'm saying is different directors will ask for different looks to there film. Some will want vibrant colours because that is right for the film and others may want a more washed out look to create a mood.

So it's not an exact science to get the film look it's more an artistic preference.

Hmmm I guess I made the mistake of not searching before asking. Thank you for the reply though.
    So yes, I understand 100% what you just said, and I'll be checking the link right now, I'm just assuming playing with the contrast, color correction, and maybe adding some kind of filters to the video and changing the settings will help achieve something close to film look.

About the Matrix, it is funny you mentioned it, since not only is my favorite movie, but also because of the same green tint used while in the matrix, it gave me the idea of using some kind of tint for the short movie I'm doing so there's a difference between different parts of the movie.

Thank you so much for the reply.
    GoPro Hero

• Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein

That sounds like a good idea. I'm in the middle of a project which I'm giving a deliberate different look for different parts of the movie. The main point about the film look is just try and get the look you think is right for the movie you are doing.

Ahhh ! I forgot, the real big thing is the lens in Hollywood movies will give them a shallow depth of field. Often associated with the film look.

have you tried magic bullet ? depending on what editing software your using this will give you the filter FX your asking about. lots of presets including "the matrix" look are standard plus you can customise and then save your settings.

magic bullet is compatible with adobe premiere and certain versions of vegas NOT v9 64bit though ! .

take a look at some of the samples on vimeo.

heres one i prepared earlier in MB

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="400" height="300" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=6f8297f66c&photo_id=4102868962"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=6f8297f66c&photo_id=4102868962" height="300" width="400"></embed></object>
    Last edited by enc; 01-27-2010 at 09:56 PM.

MB I'll experiment and see what I can get. And about the lense, I was thinking, in Photoshop I've seen tutorials about depth of field, so now I'm wondering, if Adobe AE would have similar options... hmmm.

enc, I use FCP, I will check it out anyways to see how the result image looks like, so I can have something to look at while I mess around with the filters in FCP. Thanks a lot for the suggestion
    GoPro Hero

• Baselight 4.3.5
    • DaVinci Resolve 12
    • Avid Artist Color
    • Adobe After Effect CS6