Thread: Why is my file size increasing like this!

Default Why is my file size increasing like this!

I am fairly new to Vegas Pro, at least on the video side (have used it quite a bit for multitrack audio work).

I have reciently transferred some SD DV fottage into Vegas and needed to perform some editing (eq, levels etc) on the audio tracks. Loading it into Sound Forge from Vegas, performing the audio track edits and then saving the file in sound forge (before going back to Vegas), the file size had increased from around 50Gb to over 250Gb!

As far as I could see, the file format had not changed, so why is this happening?

Many thanks for any help, Dan

Does the new file have a higher bit rate ?

Hope, everything is the same - apart from this huge increase in file size. Doesn't make sense....

No it doesn't make sense.

If the file has increased in size by that much there is a fundamental difference. Either it's changed from being a compressed file to a non compressed file or the bit rate of the file has increased or both or the media has increased in length.

Check the properties of each file.

Yes, sorry, it looks like the compression has changed. Right-clicking and selecting properties, the larger file says "data rate 613kbps, 24bit uncompressed" and the smaller file (from another tape) just says "25 frames/second and 2876kbps" with no mention of being compressed/uncompressed, so I assume it is compressed.

I thought Sound Forge would have automatically saved the file in the original format given that the file was opened in it from Vegas?

How do I go about easily reverting this situation without loosing quality or screwing something up - and prevent it happening again in the future?

Many thanks, Dan

You are asking TWO highly interesting questions:

Q1:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
    I thought Sound Forge would have automatically saved the file in the original format given that the file was opened in it from Vegas?
    Why? Why would you think that? SF, like Vegas can take in all types of files. At what point would YOU want SF to decide WHAT it should rendered back out:

A] Project?
    B] Render Template
    C] Import Specs?

More than that, would you WANT a DAW that was so prescriptive as you say you'd expect? Just think about it for a second or two?

Q2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
    How do I go about easily reverting this situation without loosing quality or screwing something up - and prevent it happening again in the future?
    Set Sound Forge to reflect WHAT you want, and RENDER to it.

OK, I just rendered a WAV PCM 44.1khz Uncomp to a new WAV PCM 44.1khz Uncomp.

Size before = 28.76mb
    Size after = 28.753mb

What are you doing differently?

As to quality, I can't answer. All I am concerned with is making sure I don't do extra damage by apply anything that is detrimental to it?

However, getting back to the part of your search for an answer, are you saying that openning an AUDIO portion from Vegas you get this disparity in size? Is that it?

Blog Entries

This may be relevant - something I discovered when researching for another thread.

Take, say, a 2 minute video clip (your original media) and stick it on the Vegas timeline.
    Trim it to say 10 seconds.
    Right click and "Open in Sound Forge" (or open in Audio Editor)

It will actually open the WHOLE media (whole 2 minutes) in your audio editor. When you save it will re-render and save the whole 2 minutes.

If instead you "Open a copy" in Soundforge it will make a copy of the trimmed clip and open that.
    Tim

That's a good tip Tim. Thanks