Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technology creep!

Default Technology creep!

As some of you may recall, I upgraded to a new HPX170 HD camera. Then discovered that I need to add additional software to Vegas just to edit it. I also found that I should add a P2 card reader to my editing terminal, to download my video product faster. Using USB2 works, but requires the camera to read the card in the "PC" mode, to download. It is also very slow to transfer data this way.

Yesterday I recorded some video (in HD 720) at work and edited it into a 4 minute presentation. Since the file is somewhat large, my headquarters folk in Washington asked me if I could copy it to a DVD and mail to to them, rather than upload it to the Internet and stream it.

I said ok, I have Ulead DVD Movie Factory 5, which has an option for burning "HD DVD" disks. So, I loaded the video (a HD 720p .wmv) into the program. No problem. The program converted the file for storage in a project file, but it would not allow me to select the "record to disk" option. I was also attempting to burn it onto a DVD-R disk in my standard DVD burner.

I probably know the answer to this without asking (I need to upgrade). I'm sure if I bought a BlueRay burner and BlueRay disks, my problem would be solved. Short of that, is there an alternative DVD disk type that I can burn HD video using a standard DVD burner? Probably not, but I figure it would not hurt to ask, other than exposing my lack of knowledge in this particular area.

How big is the file ?

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    How big is the file ?
    Only 144 mb.

Why are they moaning about downloading it then; as downloading is quicker.

Re-address them downloading it; most mail servers will give up on that size file..

Do you have webspace to up load it too?

failing this I will have to help on the DVD, just plonk the file on the dvd, or place it on a USB memory stick....

Is the HD important ?
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-26-2010 at 05:32 PM.

I would follow what zandebar said you can't email things on a normal mail server larger than 100Mb so upload it to a file sharing site and email the link to them. OR If they really MUST have it on a DVD, then just make it a data disk and they will be able to play the file on a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would follow what zandebar said you can't email things on a normal mail server larger than 100Mb so upload it to a file sharing site and email the link to them. OR If they really MUST have it on a DVD, then just make it a data disk and they will be able to play the file on a computer.

MB- it depends how the mail server has been configured, each are different.

Gmail bombs out at 25MB

Maximum attachment size - Gmail Help

Etc. its useful to know what File Size configuration; the mail server has been configured too before you send it.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-26-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Hi Digger

I have read posts on how to burn a mini blueray disk using standard dvd disks. I have never tried it myself but I recall someone putting a lot of work into solving it on the Adobe Premier Elements forum several months ago. It made use of some free burning software that would actually write the data to the disk. Of course, the recipient has to have a blueray player in order to play it. I was interested at the time to play disks on my Sony PS3. I gave up on the idea when I realised it was easier to just copy the file onto a usb disk. Not so easy of course if the recipient is in a different country.

If your interested in this I can do a bit of research and see if I can find it again.

Shrimpy

As luck would have it I book marked it.

Recreate BD / DVD from recovered HD video (*.m2ts) files

Hope its useful, might be rubbish

Shrimpy

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Heaven forbid that I would even think about emailing the file.

I have uploaded it to a private directory on my own web server. I will send them a link to the file and instruct them to right-click and download the file to their terminal.

I don't know why I did not think of that before (The brain does not work too well after a hard day at the office).
    Thanks all!
    Last edited by worddigger; 01-27-2010 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    As luck would have it I book marked it.

Recreate BD / DVD from recovered HD video (*.m2ts) files

Hope its useful, might be rubbish

Shrimpy
    I have wondered if you could burn a small HD video onto a normal DVD. I always thought the DVD player wouldn't be able to cope with a HD file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast