Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewire or USB

Default Firewire or USB

I've just bought a new Dell computer which has firewire installed along with MovieMaker2. I've also bought a camcorder (Panasonic NVGS400b). I am able to capture video from the camcorder, but the quality on the LCD screen seems to be a lot better than the image on the PC once I've downloaded it. I've very confused about Firewire and USB. The camcorder lead is called USB and the socket it fits into on the front of the PC has a kind of fork symbol (please excuse my ignorance, I'm new to this game!) - I suspect this must be a USB point and not the firewire - but it fits. Capturing video has to be done in real time, which is slow and laborious. Should I have another port for Firewire and hence a different lead for the camcorder? I hope that makes sense!

As long as the camera ia a MiniDV camcorder (and it appears yours is) then ALWAYS use firewire for capture. You will get a lower quality capture if you use USB.

One of the annoying things with cameras is that although you really need a firewire cable they rarely supply them as part of the camera 'kit'.

To help you identify whcih is which I did a quick search and here's a link to an image of a dual port card. http://tinyurl.com/2u6d6
    The three ports on the left are USB and the two on the right are firewire.

Oh, and there are reports of people have capture problems from onboard firewire ports so if you can use a firewire port on a PCI card.

Thanks Alan - you've been ten times more helpful than the Panasonic helpline! I'll try and track down a firewire cable and will look at the back of my PC for the firewire when I get home this evening.

I have been plugging in both, USB and Firewire into my camera (Sony Handycam DCR TRV22). Is this bad? Should it just be the firewire? Becuase the quality on my uploaded videos isn't very good.

Blog Entries

You only need to plug in the Firewire cable. Throw the USB one away. Burn it. Bury it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You only need to plug in the Firewire cable. Throw the USB one away. Burn it. Bury it.
    Im going to have to reinstall the USB drivers right now, I will try just the Firewire

Do I need a special Firewire Driver Installer? My CD that came with the camera only has USB Driver Installer. Anyone know?

Blog Entries

No, you don't need any specific drivers under XP.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    No, you don't need any specific drivers under XP.
    How can I test if the firewire card is working or not, becuase it is not recognizing my firewire cable?

Did you reinstall the USB drivers as mentioned? If so then maybe they are kicking in instead of the firewire link. Uninstall the USB drivers. You should not need them at all. The only possible reason you might want them is if you are transferring still images from your camera to your PC - and then you're much better off gettign a card reader for the PC and takign the memorystick from your camera and putting it in that.

If not that, then you may need to inform your capture s/w (what app is it?) whcih camera you have.

Also, is your firewire port ont he mobo or graphics card? If so and you have one then plug it into a port on a PCI firewire card. For some reason they always work better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast