Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete newbie to video editing. Here is some of my work

Default Complete newbie to video editing. Here is some of my work

I am completely new to video editing, but wish to learn some more. I am going to focus on howto videos on youtube and attempt to make it into the youtube partnership program. Take a look at these video, let me know what I should work on, or if you think they are decent. And if you like them, please subscribe to help me on my journey.

cherry amaretto sour

amaretto sour

puzzle 1

puzzle 2

romantic gift

h20

h20 solution

Personal opinion, since I am a newbie too. I'll tell you what I would do with the two videos about making the drinks.
    First I would use text as the intro naming the drink you'll be doing. Maybe some short background music along with it. Then I would close the frame more on you and the table, personally I think that closing up on you will be much better than seeing you so far.
    Also, if you're planning to do instructional videos like that, you have to understand that people don't know how much is 1 oz, 2 oz, etc. So I suggest you to either use a measurement glass for the videos or explain the counting to get the appropriate amount. And third at the time of preparing the drinks, it would be great to do a close up on the bottles and glass area (basically just focus on the table) so people have a better view of what you're doing. And I would end up the video going to a black screen, some music playing on the background and the ingredients for the drink

What he said. AND try to relax in front of the camera. Your making a happy, happy cocktail but your seem a dull as a board. Smile a bit or something.

Ok to be honest you are a parody of how not to make an interesting YouTube video. One fixed camera position, less than good sound. Unclear instructions.....

The one thing you did right and I do applaud you for this is trying to do some lighting.

For your next one you could start with the long shot. Then a close up of the materials you will be using. Then to a head and shoulder shot of you explaining what the videos about. Then as you explain about adding something to the glass, put in a close up of you pouring it into the glass. etc. etc....

*TIP* Do the whole thing through once and use the sound from that take to put the rest of the clips like the close ups etc. in place.

I know it's going to take you a lot longer to produce these types of video BUT if you want to be a YouTube Partner you need to get serious about producing the videos.

I would recommend looking at some how to videos on YouTube about making your You Tube videos better.

Sorry if this seems harsh but I felt it better said than not.

Blog Entries

Hi Fishman and welcome.
    In your opening sentence you say you wish to learn. Good on you, that's what most of us are here for - to learn and help.

However, this section isn't really the best one for critical feedback - as it's name implies, it's for "fun". You want to post your vids in the "User Videos" section when you have made some more after following Midnights excellent advice.

And when you do, please post only one video per thread (as many threads as you like) as otherwise feedback becomes a bit confusing.
    Tim

I agree with what MB,

There are many areas where you can improve, you are going to have so much fun learning.

The sound was poor as MB quite rightly pointed out. I also suggest that you buy a radio clip mic for this. Or a camcorder Mic try this one,

RØDE Microphones - VideoMic

Radio Shack should have one or look online, that's if you don't mind spending some money.

The closer the mic and out of shot the better really, directly above you is good.

Also improve your lighting, maybe a red head kit will work for you (link here just in case you don't know what they are)

3x Redhead Red Head Lighting + stand +bags 800w x3 DXX on eBay (end time 18-Feb-10 19:42:34 GMT)

This link has nothing to do with me; linked to it for the pic really, also gives you an indication of price.

or look for some second hand. Maybe you would like to make some that will do the job, please be careful if you do.

On the cocktail vid, I thought that the table looked too cluttered. You might have a bar or personal set up that you could use, where you could do a voice over as you shoot the bottle in this setting, switching to each item. This will take some of the attention away from you, as we don't really want to look at you all the time in a static shot. Different camera angles as already mentioned.

I get the feeling that the filming team was just you; you had to do every thing by yourself. Maybe you could talk a Buddy into helping you. Or get your girlfriend or a female friend; in a bikini with coconuts and those Hawaiian flower rings (am sure you get the picture) who could assist you.

Your presentation will only come in time as you get familiar with the craft.

But on a whole well done for getting this far, you've got the bottle!

Stay with the site as you'll learn loads, I like the site as there are quality people here.
    They may be opinionated but a good arena to learn, have fun!!
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-26-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

More sound advice apart from

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    The sound was poor as MB quite rightly pointed out. I also suggest that you buy a radio clip mic for this. Or a camcorder Mic try this one,

Which is generally not thought at all well of on this forum. Especially by those who bought one. Like me!
    Tim

Hi Fishman, welcome to the forum. The advice you have been given so far is spot on and you would do well to concentrate on those areas for the next videos. It can be a little hard to swallow at first, but stick with it and you will begin to see some real improvements quite quickly.

Talking to camera, or doing a voice over is hard. Its practice, practice practice to improve. When your on your own and going about your daily tasks, practice commentating on what your doing. It might sound daft but it will get you fluent. Also, try not to script the exact words your going to say. Your brain is well used to stringing words together for every conceivable situation you may face, and it can do it without any warning or forethought. Just make use of the natural speaking skills you already have. So if you feel you need some prompt, just get a white board and write single word prompts to guide you in the order you wish to talk about things. Then just imagine you explaining how to do whatever it is to your best friend and go for it.

I wish you success.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpfarmer View Post
    Also, try not to script the exact words your going to say.
    I think that depends a bit on one's character. If I were to take this approach, my VOs would be as long and tedious as my posts on this forum.
    (Whaddya mean "They are anyway"?)
    Tim

I don't know Tim, some of your bollockings can be very fluent indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    More sound advice apart from
    Which is generally not thought at all well of on this forum. Especially by those who bought one. Like me!

OK; I'll admit am no sound expert (am rubbish); I have this Mic too, I happen to think that this has acceptable sound quality, that will improve on what he has. Its a consumer Mic, so not professional grade. I have used it, am not saying its the best Mic in the world. It something that won't break the bank. When I record with it; I think it sound pretty good for the money.

Tim; Bad advice ?? please explain so we all can learn, are there better Mic's in this price range? why is this Mic so bad? What about this Mic, makes it generally fround upon? Was using an additional Mic , bad advice?

It's great that you have something to share, its all very well saying it poor advice. Please explain and provide alternatives suggestions on improvements. Of Mic or techniques that could be used, as your experience is valuable. Which provides a platform to build on, and area's to research.

Not that am on a rant; just that this guy is going to be left none the wiser, and I won't learn why I have a crappy Mic if thats the case. I really thought it sounded OK for the bucks, its interesting to learn more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast