Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Photographers vs Videographers

  1. Default Photographers vs Videographers

    I'm curious as to know your opinion.

    Who has more potential? A Photographer who becomes a Videographer...Or a Videographer who becomes a Photographer?

    I guess, who do you think has more of a background to succeed in the other field better?



    Personally, I think there are advantages to each field that can contribute to the other, and that its just about equal.

  2. #2

    Default

    In my experience videographers are too often just rubbish.

    Stills people seem to be crap less often.

    I do the odd - well 3 ever - wedding - and I am amused at the way the 2 ' josstle ' at times.

  3. #3

    Default

    In the words of the great Harry Hill there's only one way to decide.

    F I G H T !

    LOL

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    In the words of the great Harry Hill there's only one way to decide.

    F I G H T !

    LOL
    lol...not sure if i'm more afraid of a videographers equipment, or a photgraphers.

    they'll both come at each other with tripods. but i think the videographer will have heavier equipment.

  5. #5

    Talking

    This is a funny post MMMMMMMmmmmmm I have had my hand slapped before!!!

    MB LOL

    In my opinion its not about who's who and the skills acquired in these area's as an ex professional photograper. This post is amusing, I personally think it's down to the individual, not the professional direction.

    Its the imagination and expertise of the individual, not the profession.

  6. #6

    Default

    Being a bit serious about this for a second.

    I was surprised at how different these to activities are. When I was trying to explain the basics to my wife about her camera and how to use it. I realised, although it's a lens with a digital sensor the same as a video camera. The whole approach is very different from each other. Each has it's own skill set with some crossover.

    To answer the original question on the using the camera I would go for the photographer. They seem to use the auto functions less than the videography BUT and note it is a BIG BUT, When it comes to editing and post work. The photographer would have a steep learning curve. Were as the videography would think it's a walk in the park to put a still image in photoShop and give it a little tweak if needed.

    I don't think there is a real answer to this question.

  7. #7

    Default

    damn nice question let me put on my boxing gloves lol

    Well, in my very own personal opinion there might be a couple of factors to look at. First is the person and his/her creativity. Taking that both are professionals, creativity is still a key factor.
    Now, I do know that in movies they have photographers that will help the director with the video shots to help them with the composition, etc. So I would dare to say a photographer would have an easier transition into videography and probably learn less to adapt to it than a videographer to photography.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,192
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    ... in movies they have photographers that will help the director with the video shots to help them with the composition, etc.
    First I've heard of it. That's what the DoP's there for. Sounds like your confusing a DoP or "Director of Photography" with a photographer, two completely different things. I started out as a stills photographer at Pinewood Studios way back in the late 70s before moving onto the movie side. Two completely separate trades and there's no way a stills guy would be asked about framing a movie.

    Sure, for composition anyone moving from photography into video will have an advantage over someone with no experience but, as any videomaker can confirm, the framing is only a small part. Movements, focus shifts, editing, etc. etc. etc are all skills which moving pictures need but stills photographers don't... and we haven't even started on recording sound.

    Both are trades which require visual skills but in different ways.

    Basically you're asking a question akin to "which is better, a Sax player or a Guitarist"?

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    First I've heard of it. That's what the DoP's there for. Sounds like your confusing a DoP or "Director of Photography" with a photographer, two completely different things. I started out as a stills photographer at Pinewood Studios way back in the late 70s before moving onto the movie side. Two completely separate trades and there's no way a stills guy would be asked about framing a movie.

    Sure, for composition anyone moving from photography into video will have an advantage over someone with no experience but, as any videomaker can confirm, the framing is only a small part. Movements, focus shifts, editing, etc. etc. etc are all skills which moving pictures need but stills photographers don't... and we haven't even started on recording sound.

    Both are trades which require visual skills but in different ways.

    Basically you're asking a question akin to "which is better, a Sax player or a Guitarist"?

    no, i understand. they are two completely different things. i would consider myself an amateur photographer, and a wannabie videographer.

    i can instantly spot a scene or video clip with well thought out composition. its just second nature, since photography is pretty much about composition.

    in that sense, i always feel confident to set up a video shot on a tripod, compose the shot, and shoot. i'm also comfortable with color editing (well, kind of)

    as far as editing cuts/transitions, sound, story telling with video and all that...forget about it! i find that stuff challenging.

    with more background in photography, i find it easier to let the action play out infront of an immobilized camera. and i find it very difficult to follow the action (pans/tilts) with the camera.

    when i first got into video, i remember seeing this philip bloom video, and it sent chills down my spine! to be honest, i'm more of a photography man, but video shot like this really does it for me...


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    Sounds like your confusing a DoP or "Director of Photography" with a photographer, two completely different things.
    I guess I was wrong then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why is it? (Female Videographers)
    By TimStannard in forum Just for fun
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 12:56 PM
  2. Any stills photographers here
    By Shrimpfarmer in forum Just for fun
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
  3. videographers required
    By DonJMitchell in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
  4. Wanted: Videographers
    By chrisgoh1 in forum Pimp the Link
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2008, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •