Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The basic concepts of shooting characters

Default The basic concepts of shooting characters

Does anyone have any good links to articles on the web which explains the basic rules of film making. I am talking about the kind of stuff Tim Stannard talks about when he explains stuff like you can't go from a left side view to a right side view without a cut scene or panning the camera. Eye levels etc.

Its all becoming a little more important to me as I play around with animating characters etc.

I could google it I know, but then again I would not recognise crap if I read it at the moment.

Cheers
    Shrimpy

Blog Entries

There's a book "The Grammar of the Edit" by Roy Thompson on Focal Press which really explains all you need to know, such as why some cuts work and others don't.

Unfortunately a lot of rubbish is available on t'internet and I have found that it's better to rely on something which has been researched and printed on paper, rather than risk reading the opinions of a teenager selling himself as a pro on the web.

Thanks Gaffer, I will see if I can get a copy. Ta very much.

Just bought it and his other book from Amazon. Just the ticket. Now I will be able to pick up old Stannard.

Blog Entries

I have the "Grammar" and it's quite useful though I found most of it superfluous after reading what I consider to be my "Bible" - highly recommended here - particularly by one Mark W. It's "old school" and written in 1965.

"The Five Cs of Cinematography" by Joseph V Mascelli.

This book turned me from a clueless dabbler into someone who at least began to get some understanding of what makes "good" and "bad" shots and sequences.

I consider this book an absolute essential for any filmmakers.

I've also had occasional access to the Holywood Camera Work DVDs which someone else was praising here a few weeks back. This is serious stuff which I can only begin to understand (and costs serious money - but I would imagine worth every penny for anyone who wants to work in the industry)
    Tim

Books have arrived.

LOL You don't mess about Shrimpy good on ya! I might grab a copy of that as well...!

Cheers again Gaffer.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
    I have found that it's better to rely on something which has been researched and printed on paper, rather than risk reading the opinions of a teenager selling himself as a pro on the web.
    I totally agree with you there!

Shrimpy which one did you go for ? as I have found 2 types a paperback and a media manual

Grammar of the Edit: Amazon.co.uk: Roy Thompson, Christopher J. Bowen: Books

Grammar of the Edit (Media Manuals): Amazon.co.uk: Roy Thompson: Books

also how do you find it; Shame that Boarders have gone bust! a brows and a coffee; I'll miss that.
    Last edited by zandebar; 01-26-2010 at 04:33 PM.

I went for the paperback, mistake, the book quality is poor and I doubt it will take much thumbing, still its not particuarly thick so it won't take long to read. I also bought his book called the grammer of the shot, which is how to shoot it right in the first place.

LOL I was thinking the same, lol dam amazon marketing hehehehe

MMMMmmm got me thinking......also this page view thing I don't agree with having to supply your email address.

I think you might have started something shrimpy; how about a recommended reading section.
    as people need to learn and a good point in the right direction always helps

How many pages is it ? is yours the top or bottom one?

Its the top one. On Amazon you can view the contents and 1st chapter for free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast