Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Stupid n00b amateur question from me

  1. Default Stupid n00b amateur question from me

    PC format

    What is the best file format and settings to use to save as much integrity as possible from original raw footage?

    Another words, Im doing a series of pre-edits to, not only make my final easier, but that wont crash my old computer

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilRaysFan View Post
    PC format

    What is the best file format and settings to use to save as much integrity as possible from original raw footage?

    Another words, Im doing a series of pre-edits to, not only make my final easier, but that wont crash my old computer
    In order to answer that question, you need to tell us what format your original footage was recorded in. Since you are talking about something that won't crash your old computer, I must assume that you recorded your original footage on a consumer grade "HD" camera? if so, that records in the AVCHD format, which is an over compressed file that is not very editing friendly. I recommend you convert the raw footage to .WMV 720p format. That preserves a goodly amount of the original quality, and is very easy to edit in most editing softwares.

  3. Default

    Thanks for responding........ Yes, the camcorder records to a compressed format: MP4........

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilRaysFan View Post
    Thanks for responding........ Yes, the camcorder records to a compressed format: MP4........
    Well, your computer must be REALLY old because MP4 is not that difficult to handle for editing. What type of computer do you have and what kind of editing software are you using?

  5. Default

    I get noticeable generation loss for each render. I guess I should render to a higher quality of MP4...Im using both Vegas and a program called Wax as my editors....Vegas primarily

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Huntington, West Virginia USA
    Posts
    909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DevilRaysFan View Post
    I get noticeable generation loss for each render. I guess I should render to a higher quality of MP4...Im using both Vegas and a program called Wax as my editors....Vegas primarily
    Yes, you certainly want to get as much quality as you can into the first render. You also want to use a high bit rate for the video. Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. I know, its a stupid question
    By ACVideos1080 in forum Forum Announcements and News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
  2. Hi. Amateur video editor and had a question...
    By public_pervert in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 04:37 AM
  3. Question from a n00b
    By Sniper1154 in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2007, 09:36 PM
  4. I'm a n00b. Codec question.
    By LiSyaoran in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
  5. n00b with a question.
    By mapper3d in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •