Thread: Stupid n00b amateur question from me

1. Default Stupid n00b amateur question from me

PC format

What is the best file format and settings to use to save as much integrity as possible from original raw footage?

Another words, Im doing a series of pre-edits to, not only make my final easier, but that wont crash my old computer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilRaysFan View Post
    PC format

What is the best file format and settings to use to save as much integrity as possible from original raw footage?

Another words, Im doing a series of pre-edits to, not only make my final easier, but that wont crash my old computer
    In order to answer that question, you need to tell us what format your original footage was recorded in. Since you are talking about something that won't crash your old computer, I must assume that you recorded your original footage on a consumer grade "HD" camera? if so, that records in the AVCHD format, which is an over compressed file that is not very editing friendly. I recommend you convert the raw footage to .WMV 720p format. That preserves a goodly amount of the original quality, and is very easy to edit in most editing softwares.

3. Default

Thanks for responding........ Yes, the camcorder records to a compressed format: MP4........

Thanks for responding........ Yes, the camcorder records to a compressed format: MP4........
    Well, your computer must be REALLY old because MP4 is not that difficult to handle for editing. What type of computer do you have and what kind of editing software are you using?

5. Default

I get noticeable generation loss for each render. I guess I should render to a higher quality of MP4...Im using both Vegas and a program called Wax as my editors....Vegas primarily

I get noticeable generation loss for each render. I guess I should render to a higher quality of MP4...Im using both Vegas and a program called Wax as my editors....Vegas primarily
    Yes, you certainly want to get as much quality as you can into the first render. You also want to use a high bit rate for the video. Good luck.