Thread: Newbie here!

Default Newbie here!

I am tentatively dipping my toe in the water as it were. My husband and I are currently wedding photographers and I have recently decided to expand into videography as well as we are often asked for videographer recommendations so upselling to include video seems like a natural progression.

I am getting advice from the lovely Richard Wakefield of FX Films and am going to spend a day training with him in February.

I have a Canon XH A1S and two Canon 5D MKII's. I also have two Rode Videomic's, a Manfrotto 503, 525 Tripod and Head and I have a Flycam and a Glidetrack on order. I have a 27" imac and Adobe Premier Pro for editing (fortunately already had the imac for the photography!)

I am spending a lot of time playing with both cameras at the moment and coming up with a list of questions as long as my arm for Richard! I have edited videos in the past (for family and friends) and really enjoy it.

The plan is to offer current photography customers who don't have a videographer booked free coverage and take it from there.

I am really looking forward to getting involved in a new challenge and I am sure I will have lots of questions (and hopefully some videos to share) in the not too distant future!

Hi BLD and welcome! - Richard is quite knowledgable and will be a great help on the groundwork for your new venture.
    It will seem a quantum leap coming from the world of photography. There are many disciplines that will seem overwhelming.
    Besides the colour balancing, focus and exposure that you will be familiar with, there is sound and continuity which can seem at times like juggling fog.

Most newbies skirt round sound and continuity and rely on camera mics and a dissolve to cover the missed bits, but once you discover the ways to make the audio on the important bits crisp, and teamwork to keep the continuity on track, it becomes a far superior production.

I know the 5D makes great dof video but it's not something I'd incorporate into a video, mainly for the restrictions it has on sound and movement. Locked off or a quick slide on a glidetrack is ok for a while, but there will be times when you need the balance of a tripod mounted video cam for tilts and pans just to add variety. It's the variety of shots, just like photography, that make for a more watchable production.

Then of course there's the edits. Easy enough to slot together on a timeline, but torment to bring it into a final piece that pitches the emotions and passion accurately.
    Much like designing a stunning photo album, but without lightroom and the software templates to speed up the processing.

I'm sure you have one advantage over the average wannabe and that will be an eye for the killer shot and the anticipation skillls you already employ in your photography business. These alone will give you an edge over many.

Good luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks Zero! Don't worry I am not under any illusions that it will be easy - I am one of the photographers who respects videographers and am more than prepared to put the work in. Six years ago I hadn't taken any more than a snapshot on a camera and now have a very successful career so the work and technology don't frighten me. I also seem to be blessed with a lot of patience, which I am sure will help!

I think one of the very important things from the start is to manage client expectations and be honest about my skill level so they don't expect "English Patient" quality film from a freebie video.

I love weddings and am perfectly used to Bridezillas, Mumzillas, Vicarzillas and scarey grey haired church ladyzillas (which I am sure has to be a bonus!)

Hi BLD,

thats some kit list for someone dipping a toe

welcome to the forum.

I'd strongly suggest you invest in a good wireless lav mic system to record vows etc. Those Rode mics won't be able to do so.

FX is good , though obvious not as good as me

Zero is right about the sound, it is more then the video , take the audio away and it is hard to image what is being said, take the pictures away and you can image what is happening.

Radio mics are essential for vows and speeches, your ears are much better then the mic on the camera. A separate audio recorder is also a useful device.

You almost need to work backwards in video, by looking at what you want as the finished product and how you would get that on the day and then make sure you get them, so it like getting the right jigsaw bits to make the full picture, if you come back with loads of random shots that look good but don't fit into the picture it is going to be a hard to edit and dissolves are the order of the day.

Every shot needs to count and be useful if possible, the iris, focus and audio has to be right 1st time.
    Somethings can be fixed in post like Photographs, but if the sound or parts of the jigsaw are missing its a tough call.

the edit is the most time consuming part trying to get it all to fit together and get the audio right and the mix correct if there is music. There is audio compressors, rubber banding and EQ to get it right.

i would avoid anything for free, even if things are free there will still be complaints, I would offer at a discount .

T& C is also a good requirement

Good luck it's hard work but rewarding.

Perth, Western Australia

If you are doing Church weddings then two wireless lavs are a good idea. I plug each receiver to an XLR channel and have one on the groom and one on the lectern to catch the readings.

For outdoor stuff (we have a lot here) I stick with one wireless lav on the groom but run the Rode on camera as a backup...surprisingly, the Rode gives me a stronger signal even around 6 metres from the wedding party but it's WAY noisier than the lav so I use the lav 99.9% of the time but it's comforting to have a second track backup if something goes wrong. I have had grooms rip the mic off (nerves I guess???) and also get tangled in the transmitter cable resulting in zero audio. I normally run the A cam quite close to the wedding party to concentrate on the B&G and use the B Cam for my wide shots.