Thread: Help(: laptop recording? New at this.

Default Help(: laptop recording? New at this.

Hey everyone!

I was wondering. Say I have a laptop(HP HDX 16) and this laptop has an HDMI jack or input. And say I wanted to record xbox 360 gameplay, would I be able to hook my xbox 360 up to my laptop with an HDMI cable then simply use a screen recorder to record gameplay.

I don't know if this would work, and if so if the quality might be terrible. But I figured the laptop would simplt be acting as a television. Anyway, any thoughts because it would be much easier for me to do this then to go out and purchase a capture card. Or could my comptuer have a dvd recorder built in? I have heard talk about this before as well. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

2. Default

I'm not 100% sure but i don't think that the HDMI "input" is really an input. I think that it is really an output only port. The idea is that you hook your laptop up to a HDTV and use the TV as a monitor, not the other way around. so I don't think that you can send a signal into it like a TV, I just don't think your computer will recognize the signal.
    But again I'm not sure, the only way to find out for sure is to try it I guess.
    Also if it does work i would imagine that it will be HD quality since it is HDMI but you'll just have to find a screen recorder that will record that kind of quality.
    Hope that helps.

Last edited by kellersmeller; 01-27-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Keller Nunley
    KS Films

It does help quite a bit and I do understand what your saying. Your theory does actually make perfect sense, and I suppose like you said the only way to see is if I were to actually try it. Thank you (: