Thread: Basic questions about project files (Vegas 9)

Default Basic questions about project files (Vegas 9)

Hi!

I'm starting a complex project and using Vegas 9. I'm a new user of the software so I have some questions. Here's a brief description of what I'm about to do:

1) Using clips from 4 cameras (multicamera shoot) and then using trimmer to select the parts I want from clips and adding those to timeline. After picking a lot of clips I have one big entirety as one project. Saving the video as good quality as possible.

2) Using the video in another software for adding some special effects. Then once again saving it in another software and importing back to Vegas. Adding a lot of different video's, music, text etc.

So basically my questions are:

1. Can I use multiple Vegas project files and in the end just combine them together? For example I have projects A,B,C and I want those together as a project D. Then I maybe want to add a few clips and music directly to project D. Does this work?

2. If it does, are there any quality issues? I don't want to lose video quality, but on the other hand, it would be so much easier to use multiple projects instead of one huge file. I'm using laptop anyway so..

Hope it made sense. I don't want to do unnecessary work so using many project files would be easier considering the fact that I have a lot of material coming.

Thanks for your help!

Blog Entries

Assuming you're using Vegas Pro ...

Basically - Yes. You can create a number of smaller projects (saved as .veg files) and import them into another project. The Vegas term for this is "nesting" projects if you want to loo them up in te help file.

The issue here is that you want to use the video in other software. You can't send a .veg file to another tool as it is no more than a complicated edit list, understood by Vegas , and Vegas only. You would need to render the file to a format that your other software can deal with and then import the output from that back into a Vegas project (eg your "master" project)

With nested projects you will not lose any more quality than you would if you only had the one project (as these are only references to the original source media). Only when you render is there any possiblily of losing quality. If you keep the format and resolution the same throughout, using the same codec then there should be no loss in quality - at least as far as the Vegas part of the equation is concerned.

Incidentally...
    "I'm starting a complex project and using Vegas 9. I'm a new user of the software"
    Isn't that a bit ambitious?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Assuming you're using Vegas Pro ...

Basically - Yes. You can create a number of smaller projects (saved as .veg files) and import them into another project. The Vegas term for this is "nesting" projects if you want to loo them up in te help file.

The issue here is that you want to use the video in other software. You can't send a .veg file to another tool as it is no more than a complicated edit list, understood by Vegas , and Vegas only. You would need to render the file to a format that your other software can deal with and then import the output from that back into a Vegas project (eg your "master" project)
    Yeah, I'm using Vegas Pro. This is exactly what I was looking for and it's good to know that it works! I actually tried it earlier and it worked well.

I know I can't use those project files on other program. I'm prepared for rendering my project into a normal video file (.AVI) which I'll use on other software and then import the edited video back to Vegas. Just an extra detour on my way to glory..

With nested projects you will not lose any more quality than you would if you only had the one project (as these are only references to the original source media). Only when you render is there any possiblily of losing quality. If you keep the format and resolution the same throughout, using the same codec then there should be no loss in quality - at least as far as the Vegas part of the equation is concerned.
    Good to know! Now the project is so much easier to compile together without worrying about the quality.

Incidentally...
    "I'm starting a complex project and using Vegas 9. I'm a new user of the software"
    Isn't that a bit ambitious?
    I guess it is.. But on the other hand, you only learn by doing it, right? Movie Makers etc. won't give me what I need.. It's not so complex as it may seem but it takes some time to get to know all the tricks of the software.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Petsku View Post
    I guess it is..[a bit ambitious] But on the other hand, you only learn by doing it, right?
    Absolutely and it's good that you have that attitude.

Unfortunately there are too many people who expect that because a piece of software is capable of great things THEY should be capable of great things with it without understanding that they need to LEARN how to use it.
    Tim